PDA

View Full Version : Water spots. Every day!

Fiat500
06-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey all,

I've noticed every morning here in south Florida, I have dew on my car which turns to water spots. Besides using a quick detailer every single day, is there a way to stop them from even forming? I guess the water around here is very hard, as it leaves quite noticeable white residue behind when dry.

Ps, i have polished, sealed and waxed recently.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mavin
06-24-2013, 08:08 AM
What products did you use for your paint preparation?

Fiat500
06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
What products did you use for your paint preparation?

I used onr to wash, poorboys polish and sealant and then coated it with collinite 845

vman
06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
There's not much you can do besides getting a car cover or parking inside a garage. Any water will leave water spots if you're car is dirty or the water is not distilled or RO. If its leaving a noticeable white residue it may not be dew since dew is condensation and pure water for the most part (i think). Do you have any sprinklers or anything that shoots water around where you park your car?

master detailer
06-24-2013, 08:31 AM
the key word is sprinklers they are all hard water and you need to keep the hart water off your car. P S windows also. This is a real pain for boats on lifts also.

Fiat500
06-24-2013, 08:32 AM
There's not much you can do besides getting a car cover or parking inside a garage. Any water will leave water spots if you're car is dirty or the water is not distilled or RO. If its leaving a noticeable white residue it may not be dew since dew is condensation and pure water for the most part (i think). Do you have any sprinklers or anything that shoots water around where you park your car?

It's quite possible. I live in a condo community and while I park in the same space everyday, there is a ton of other cars around as well. It's probably dust being kicked up. I guess a quick detailer every day is the best option. I have a fiat, so it really is quick lol

Setec Astronomy
06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
As vman noted, dew doesn't have minerals in it. What may be happening, since you have a fine beader on your car (845) is that you have some dust that has settled on the car, then when the dew forms it beads up, taking the dust with it. When the bead dries, the dust has collected into a "spot". So no, there is no way to really avoid this, other than perhaps to QD the car in the evening, before the dew forms.

EDIT: Or as Master Detailer suggests, are you getting hit by the sprinkler system overnight? If that's the case, it's going to be very difficult and I would suggest a coating as being most resistant. Hard water and bright sun is really tough to combat as far as water spots.

Fiat500
06-24-2013, 11:19 AM
As vman noted, dew doesn't have minerals in it. What may be happening, since you have a fine beader on your car (845) is that you have some dust that has settled on the car, then when the dew forms it beads up, taking the dust with it. When the bead dries, the dust has collected into a "spot". So no, there is no way to really avoid this, other than perhaps to QD the car in the evening, before the dew forms.

EDIT: Or as Master Detailer suggests, are you getting hit by the sprinkler system overnight? If that's the case, it's going to be very difficult and I would suggest a coating as being most resistant. Hard water and bright sun is really tough to combat as far as water spots.

Thanks for the insight. You are probably right. I'm not sure about the sprinklers, as I've honestly never seen them on. :/