Glossometer study results

That is exactly the type of thing I'm going to do in my free time when I'm a dentist and can afford it.

kudos to the guy for making his own tests, although I don't agree with his product choices. I'm not sure he knows what a "polish" is as he said a few times he is going to apply the protectant (sealant or otherwise) and then the polish.

Interesting...thanks for posting.

If anyone read that entire gigantic thread, how many points does this glossmeter have to move before the average human eye can detect it, and is it a linear scale?

Without knowing that, and just looking comparatively, it seems all the products do roughly the same, within a few percentage points, so maybe we are all kidding ourselves when we think a particular product performs far better than others ;).

But it really comes down to the answer to my question. If the average eye can only detect about a 5 point difference in glossmeter reading, there's no big difference. If instead the average eye can detect a difference of .1, then there's a meaningful difference if it's a linear scale. If the scale is non-linear then all bets are off and you'd need to see the curves.

Back