Any experience with used car purchase details?

Bill1234

Reaction score
My friend just bought a car from a dealer. The car is used and I was wondering how are the used car details from a dealer. I think Ill be able to tackle it, but it is hard or not ?

It's like a regular car....probably going to be swirled up nice and full of Rids. What are you planning to do on it?

Go see the condition of the car an make a plan from there. It's hard To give you an answer on such a broad topic.

Unlike new cars, a used car will have variables. Before you go into heavy paint correction, you should check the thickness of the paint. However for a maintenance detail, it should be no different.

Probably caked up with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze,especially if its black. I would strip it and work from there.

Here is what Im planing to do.
Wheels-each one full soak in mothers all wheel with scrubbing
tire too
wash-meguiars gold class(dawn idk)
dry
clay maybe-idk how to
finish
correction-probably ultimate compound or m205 by red cutting pad from meguiars
wipe down
interior -chem guys leather or folex fabrics/leathers
dress dash and stuff in protectant
tire shine -optimum opti bond

I do have a montana boars hair brush for big vehicles, thoughts?

I guess I will strip it with 50/50 mix

and apply collinite 845 to finish, maybe v7 if I have time

Bill is your friend going to maintain the finish? If not dont bother polishin. Bc as soon as he runs it through an auto car wash all your hard work is gone.

Bill is your friend going to maintain the finish? If not dont bother polishin. Bc as soon as he runs it through an auto car wash all your hard work is gone.

unless he uses nu finish and it'll survive 52 car washes without scratching and it'll still bead

Here is what Im planing to do.
Wheels-each one full soak in mothers all wheel with scrubbing
tire too
wash-meguiars gold class(dawn idk)
dry
clay maybe-idk how to
finish
correction-probably ultimate compound or m205 by red cutting pad from meguiars
wipe down
interior -chem guys leather or folex fabrics/leathers
dress dash and stuff in protectant
tire shine -optimum opti bond

I do have a montana boars hair brush for big vehicles, thoughts?

Hi Bill,
Just a couple comments-suggestions, so you won't possibly instill any unncecessary further damage.

The Mother's Wheel Cleaner, I've used this stuff, and IMO it is a quite potent cleaner.
Perhaps too potent, and I'd take some cautions with this cleaner as you don't wish to perhaps damage clear coatings, or a paint finish on the wheels.

If memory serves me correctly, the Meguiars Burgundy Pads are their most aggressive, correct?

These may not be needed, and might be a bit too harsh for the correction you need to do?
Perhaps the milder-softer Yellow Pad may be sufficient, or another softer Pad from the likes of Lake County, or?

As is always recommended, it would be wisest to do a test spot first with the mildest of processes, products and pads, and then go from there?

I would assume that with the useage of M205, the variance of final results will also then depend upon, and be influenced by the aggressiveness of the Pads, and as well section passes and pressure/arm-tool speed.
Mark

The car has probably not been maintained by its previous owner

I will not be using red foam pads from meguiars. I will be using their red microfiber pads. They are much better than the foam and are easier to work with

Bill I'm just wondering. You say you've never clayed but you've polished cars before? Don't you find that a bit odd? If anything the polishing takes more skill than the claying part. Idk just find that odd

I feel that I could do a bad job while claying. Idk really

I think you'd do more "bad" by not claying and just polishing idk. Really puzzled by your logic on that. :dunno:

I just bought meguiars smooth surface clay kit, I will try this on my friends car

Claying really is a piece of cake. It will be time consuming the first few times, the clay will stick to your hands and gloves, and you will drop your clay at least once (do NOT re-use dropped clay!) But once you feel how smooth that paint is, it's all worthwhile. Break the panels up the same way you do to polish and you'll be fine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

im definitely claying the car I will be detailing. Now that I think about it, the car will look 10xs glossier and wax will bond better when done. I dont know when I start though

im definitely claying the car I will be detailing. Now that I think about it, the car will look 10xs glossier and wax will bond better when done. I dont know when I start though

How will you accurately determine it is 10x glossier???????

Back