MF Towel Question

A lot of towels lint, it is really hard to find a good towel for glass, especially for the inside of the windshield, because those fibers are hard to get off once you get them on there.

A lot of people use waffle weaves, Griot's also makes a non-linting disposable glass towel but I don't think they sell it here.

Here is what Grumpy recommends:
NEW HUCK TOWELS

April 27, 2012
from Autopia:

Distilled water will not cut plasticizer film from the interior that becomes deposited on the glass as the degassing takes place.
It will not be effective for removing smoke film or if one has used a lot of dressing on the interior, it also releases a film.
Use of dedicated, formulated for automotive glass is the proven chemical.
Huck towels are great, if used correctly and washed correctly.
1. Mist the glass cleaner "evenly" on the subject glass, allow it to dwell for a few seconds, if it starts to dry, re-mist.
2. Fold the huck/surgical towel in to 1/4 folds.
3. Place the folded towel on the glass and apply light even pressure (think of sanding wood with sand paper, if you just bunch up the paper and "kinda go at it" there will be unevenness in the wood. The same when cleaning glass, need even pressure.
4. Have a second, folded huck/surgical towel and use it to remove the residue of the glass cleaner.
5. When doing the inside glass, wipe in side to side motions or up and down-this is important.
6. When doing the outside glass, wipe in the opposite direction that the inside glass was done.
7. Inspect and any "smears" can be easily identified and wiped off with the dry "wipe off huck towel".
8. Wash huck/surgical towels separate from any other towels, especially those used for compounds, polishes, waxes, sealants or dressings. The residue from these products can get into the huck towel and then release when the glass cleaning process is performed.

#Micro fiber towels are also good for that final dry the glass wipe off.
#The natural "fibers" of the huck towels do a better agitation of the glass during the wet cleaning process than a micro fiber due to the more aggressive fiber content.

Grumpy

I bought some blue 16 x 16 towels. I've been using them mostly for wiping the car with CG glass cleaner and V7. I've notice on the windows I can see some small fibers left behind on the glass.

Is this normal with MF or did I just buy a cheap brand of Amazon?

This is what I bought.
Amazon.com: Eurow Microfiber 16 x 16 in. 300 GSM Cleaning Towels 12-Pack (Blue): Automotive

You have to wash those towels twice before use. All Eurow towels shed unless you do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's pretty much your answer. Wash all mf towels before use. No matter what quality I've used so far, all brand new ones lint when I fling them real hard.

Right now I am washing with regular detergent then drying on low heat.
Can I add a small amount of dawn to the load to help clean a little more or could this hurt the MF towels?

Also, are MF specific detergents really worth it?

Youre killing your towels. Use a dedicated microfiber detergent. If anything use vinegar. But god please don't use dawn man! I use Blackfire detergent on towels a year old and they still look 99% new.

Also, there's better towels out there fwiw.

I have so many different towels (probably not compared to most of you), and I never know what to think. I just bought a dozen from Amazon and I'm not impressed with them. They're Chemical Guys' brand and they're yellow with black trim. Every towel I have seems to be capable of linting sometimes, and I don't understand how this couldn't be the case.

Yesterday I had a HELL of a time drying my car. It was so grabby it was unreal. Took a lot of muscle to dry the car and that really bothered me. I threw on another coat of OCW so hopefully next time it's fairly slick. Anyone deal with this?

YEES! Its so annoying!! I didn't know if it was because of the towel (it was new) or maybe it needed some clay bar treatment

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

YEES! Its so annoying!! I didn't know if it was because of the towel (it was new) or maybe it needed some clay bar treatment

I'm not sure which post you are referring to?

IME, glass tends to pull fibers from even the best MF towels that don't have some sort of weave to them.

CarPro Fast Glass towels are hands down the best way to clean glass.

I prefer the napless mf (often edgeless, usually used for polish removal) on glass for the initial wipe since they do not tend to lint and use a waffle weave for the drying pass.

This is also why the chamois type towels are popular for glass. For example, you could get an Absorber and cut it into smaller sections.

Yesss, what? What are you referring to exactly? LOL.

I bought some blue 16 x 16 towels. I've been using them mostly for wiping the car with CG glass cleaner and V7. I've notice on the windows I can see some small fibers left behind on the glass.

Is this normal with MF or did I just buy a cheap brand of Amazon?

two words: WAFFLE WEAVE

get a decent waffle weave.. yes they will cost more, but since the pattern in embedded into the cloth, the lint factor is usually next to none.

Also these are super absorbent to cleaner and dust so cleaning is simple.

Transition the cloths you have no to interior or utility towels.. such as door jamb.

AND +1 to washing towels PRIOR to initial usage

Yesss, what? What are you referring to exactly? LOL.

Sorry lol, when you said that drying your car was a pain in the butt because it felt grabby!! I had that problem too but I didn't know what it was :/

Sorry lol, when you said that drying your car was a pain in the butt because it felt grabby!! I had that problem too but I didn't know what it was :/

I still don't know what caused it.. I was using a different towel then normal, but still a high quality towel.

My drying towel is awesome, and I'd really like another but IDK where I got it. I checked past orders on AG and it wasn't from here. It must have been purchased at a car parts store back in the days when I used to get stuff from there. :laughing:

Back