Dealer chipped clear coat on wheels when rotating tires...

eyost

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, you gotta love it and I ask myself often, why don't people treat other people's property with respect.

This afternoon I had my local Honda dealer rotate the tires and do an oil change on my two year old CRV. Now this CRV is in excellent condition (thanks much to the great advice I get here in the forum). When I picked up the car I did a quick check to see if they indeed rotate the tires; not that I don't trust folks, but I have been down that road before. Upon inspection I noticed that the technician chipped the clear coat from putting the power driver in to remove the lug nuts. Looks like every wheel had similar damage. Without even moving the vehicle I marched back in and spoke with the service rep. They didn't challenge me and even got the technician who did the service to come out as well; he didn't say a word.

As it stands I have to make a call Monday to set up a time for a wheel company to give them an estimate on fixing the wheels.

Do any of you have any experience with a similar situation that you would be willing to share? It burns me as I take great care of my vehicle (detailing, park away from other cars, etc.), so to go through this is unnerving.

Thanks for listening.

Ed

I would have tried to ##### as much as i can to see if they would give you new rims lol (fat chance) if not I would tell they need to do something for you like 2 years free oil change or something.. Once I parked in a garage and when i got my maxima the whole from corner bumper was smashed in. They fixed it using my painters and they gave me 1 year free parking in Manhattan... So long story short complain as much as possible to get your rims fixed and something for the trouble... Good luck buddy.

yea. uncalled for indeed. put the damn power driver down and do it by hand. or they have rubber sleeves that fit over the lug to prevent this. so far i have been lucky on my nissan rotations. at the nissan dealer. knock on wood.

I had a somewhat similar issue with one of my previous cars. New tires were being put on and the shop did not take care of my rims. They went in clean, came back filthy, and they clearly did not take care of my center caps, because they were covered in scratches when I picked the car up. They denied everything point blank and said that was how the vehicle arrived. Easy to say I never gave them my business again!

Good luck with your CRV! Dealers burn me up too.

I got brand new wheels again after my local fleet farm store f'd up my mount and install . they all have insurance .

what I do now is if I ever need new tires or get new wheels , I take all 4 off myself and haul them in . but they can also still f up the mount too but not the wobble driver

I got brand new wheels again after my local fleet farm store f'd up my mount and install . they all have insurance .

what I do now is if I ever need new tires or get new wheels , I take all 4 off myself and haul them in . but they can also still f up the mount too but not the wobble driver

Yes, but with a big deductible.

Yes, but with a big deductible.

that their prob , not mine . I took brand new wheels in to be mounted to the tires that were on my vehicle . I expected nothing less than brand new replacements not repaired , but that was my case. another set were used and I don't remember what I got but they like paid me 1/2 to 3/4 price of what they were new . I lived with it on them .

Don't do it! Demand new wheels! The "Wheel Company" is likely a guy that uses rattle can type paint. The "paint" from the factory is powder coated. It's baked on and much more durable than anything someone can do on sight as a repair.

Night and day difference, believe me, I've been down this road before with my BMW and the "Wheel Guys" paint last a whole 3 weeks. I ended up paying to have my wheels powder coated correctly. It costs about a grand for 4 wheels. The "damage" was nobodies fault, but the dealer offered to fix it for good will. Which was nice, but ultimately I just had to pay to do it correctly.

The powder coater I use is the Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. They have do e many wheels for me and their finish is as good as OEM.

I have $1800.00 tied up in my wheels new wheels, a couple years of oil changes hardly makes up for damaging exspensive wheels. When I bought my GC I got it home and detailed it and noticed the oem wheels had been chipped, probably by the delivery driver of the carrier. I made them replace all four with new ones. They need to make it right or buy you new wheels, nothing else is good enough. They did the damage, they need to compensate you.

Always request a walk around inspection prior to leaving your vehicle with any shop, period. Then do it again when you pick it up. My Harley dealership requires customers to do that.

Thanks everyone for the support. I may shoot for new rims to replace the damaged ones, although given this dealer I doubt they will do it. Finding someone to service a vehicle that actually respects the property is hard to find. I don't mind paying extra for quality work; I take care of my stuff, why can't they?!

Back