interior shine

clint316

Reaction score
hey all i am trying to find the best stuff to detail an interior and make it really pop.i have an 01 jetta with all black leather interior.the seats are perfect condition and i tried armoral leather wipes and it left a nasty sheen on them.so then i used stp son of a gun and now everything is spotted and looks like crap.so what is my best option to make everything shine without being slippery?

You will want to clean them with a leather cleaner and the condition them.

From what I have read the thing with leather is to find out if you have a coating or not. I am pretty sure a VW will have a coating.

Autogeek sells a foaming leather cleaner and condition which might work well for you...

I am a fan of Malco Leather condition but they do not sell Malco products here.

If you like a real shiny look; I'm afraid you are out of luck as far as finding a product that doesn't leave a greasy film

You should at least use Meg's product if you're going OTC.. Interior shine is a great one and cheap!

thanks for the advice but does this work on plastic too?

I'm not sure that a leather/trim cleaner exists.
For the few extra dollars I would get the product that is specifically designed or a job. Don't wanna mess up that leather

I'm not sure that a leather/trim cleaner exists.
For the few extra dollars I would get the product that is specifically designed or a job. Don't wanna mess up that leather

i will try the superior cover all on the seats,what would you recomend for the plastic trim and stuff

Clean the plastic and leather with a diluted APC or deep clean with steam. Then use 303 Aerospace protectant, PERL or Ultima interior guard. All will protect from UV and give a great finish. They do not give a greasy finish.

I like Chemical Guys VRP. Nice shine not greasy.

Yep, as you found out, stay away from Armoral products.

Meg's apc+ is great on leather at about 10:1 and weaker. Stronger than that and it's a gamble. Maybe even start at 15:1 or 20:1.

If you have access or know somebody that has a steamer, place a microfiber of the head a gently warm the leather up before doing anything. It's not necessary but helps a ton.

Spray the seat evenly (not allowing drips) and use a soft to medium bristle brush to lightly clean and agitate. If this isn't working you can either step up the strength of the cleaner and/or use a scrubbie pad to lightly scrub and agitate stubborn grime.

Next, find yourself a quality leather conditioner. I use Meg's D180 Leather cleaner and conditioner. There are some very high end detailers using this stuff on a daily basis.

I like this conditioner because it also has a very light cleaning ability. It helps remove any weird streaks or grime you left behind in the previous step. Use a microfiber applicator pad or towel and apply the product evenly to the entire seat.

Let the product dwell for a couple minutes to allow it to absorb into the surface, and then buff to a natural and beautiful finish with a dry microfiber towel.

You don't want shiny surfaces in a car. It looks cheap and creates glare while driving.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Back