PDA

View Full Version : Prima Hydro Max Questions

bcwang
07-29-2013, 03:01 AM
I'm hoping those experienced with Prima Hydro Max would be able to answer a few questions about the product and experience with it's behavior. There isn't much detail about it searching around the web. Any help to get these questions answered is appreciated!

1. Does it require the surface to be LSP free and residue free to bond well?

It mentioned using non-polymer wash like hydro wash. If it's that sensitive to the wash having polymers, it may be sensitive to anything else on the surface. All my waterless or rinseless washes have polymers so I wonder if that compromises it already. I was thinking maybe of using WGPPE first to remove the previous LSP and clean the paint, but even that leaves fillers, so I wonder if durability will be compromised. Ideally I'd waterless wash a car and then apply this immediately after but it seems that is against recommendations.

2. Can it be layered? If yes, how long of a wait in between layers?

3. Is there a curing time before it can get wet for maximum durability?

4. It mentions "contains mineral spirits", what implication does that have?

5. Does it contain UV inhibitors?

6. Does it work well on plastics? (headlights, tailights, smooth trim plastics) Same durability and prevent headlight yellowing?

7. Does it work well on the windshield to make water run off when driving? Is it durable there and does it cause wiper chatter or streaking glass?

8. Does it work well on wheels? Does it have the heat resistance and durability to be used there successfully?

9. Is there a temperature/humidity range it should be applied for best results?

10. Can it be applied successfully on hot paint in full sun? (successful = no streaks, maintains full looks and durability)

11. Just how long is it claimed to last?

12. Is it considered more or less durable than Epic and Hydro Seal?

13. How long/short have you seen it last on your cars?

14. What is the shelf life of the product in the bottle?

16. Does it remove underlying LSP upon application or does it sit on top of it?

17. Is it good for topping a "coating" like OC? Does it have similar hydrophobic properties or will it be worse compared to coating itself?

Those who have answers to these questions, even if only a partial set, please help out. It would be nice to have this be one thread that had all these kinds of questions answered for this product so anyone could look it up.

Thanks!

Nick@Prima
07-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Answered below.

I'm hoping those experienced with Prima Hydro Max would be able to answer a few questions about the product and experience with it's behavior. There isn't much detail about it searching around the web. Any help to get these questions answered is appreciated!

1. Does it require the surface to be LSP free and residue free to bond well? No, it can go over your LSP.

It mentioned using non-polymer wash like hydro wash. If it's that sensitive to the wash having polymers, it may be sensitive to anything else on the surface. All my waterless or rinseless washes have polymers so I wonder if that compromises it already. I was thinking maybe of using WGPPE first to remove the previous LSP and clean the paint, but even that leaves fillers, so I wonder if durability will be compromised. Ideally I'd waterless wash a car and then apply this immediately after but it seems that is against recommendations. Loose polymers such as those in Prima Mystique can cause streaking. That is the issue. If Hydro MAX goes down without streaking, then carry on.

2. Can it be layered? If yes, how long of a wait in between layers? Yes, no wait necessary.

3. Is there a curing time before it can get wet for maximum durability? Water isn't an issue. A strong detergent "might" impact it slightly.

4. It mentions "contains mineral spirits", what implication does that have? No implications. It is an emulsifier.

5. Does it contain UV inhibitors? Yes

6. Does it work well on plastics? (headlights, tailights, smooth trim plastics) Same durability and prevent headlight yellowing?Yes.

7. Does it work well on the windshield to make water run off when driving? Is it durable there and does it cause wiper chatter or streaking glass? I find it is more durable on glass than paint. Water beads and at highway speeds runs off.

8. Does it work well on wheels? Does it have the heat resistance and durability to be used there successfully?Sure. It isn't as durable as Prima Wheel Armour, but it works.

9. Is there a temperature/humidity range it should be applied for best results? Maybe. Didn't really try to quantify for that range.

10. Can it be applied successfully on hot paint in full sun? (successful = no streaks, maintains full looks and durability)In July? No. In January. It's been done.

11. Just how long is it claimed to last? 3-6 months

12. Is it considered more or less durable than Epic and Hydro Seal?Less than Epic and it is Hydro Seal. Just a spray version.

13. How long/short have you seen it last on your cars?

14. What is the shelf life of the product in the bottle?There isn't one. If it doesn't streak when you spray it, then you are good. All Prima products are good for one year unopened. Once opened, there is no guarantee.

16. Does it remove underlying LSP upon application or does it sit on top of it? It doesn't contain a cleaner.

17. Is it good for topping a "coating" like OC? Does it have similar hydrophobic properties or will it be worse compared to coating itself? Haven't tried it and I'm not sure even what you are referring to. Prima Hydro MAX is a spray sealant. No need to make it more complicated than it is. Shake, spray and wipe.

Those who have answers to these questions, even if only a partial set, please help out. It would be nice to have this be one thread that had all these kinds of questions answered for this product so anyone could look it up.

Thanks!

ScottB
07-31-2013, 06:36 PM
on my short list of must-try products .....

XSSIVE
07-31-2013, 07:24 PM
on my short list of must-try products .....

Me too. I've got my eye on it and Slick (real curious if it lives up to the name) to try as the first Prima products for me. I'm just up to my ears in spray detailers and spray sealants from various brands with all the testing I've been doing that I can't justify buying more similar products right now though. I really like the fact that Hydro Max can go over current LSPs that's a great bonus IMO which put it on my radar for future trial.

poweraid
07-31-2013, 07:49 PM
this product rocks ! recently I just got a new car . I had to get something on it till I had time to polish and coat it . this was so easy to use , left a awesome gloss and I must also say is darn durable too . I did a cg citrus paint cleansing wash , iron x , nanoskin fine wash mitt and car was still beading darn good . I opted to do a opti power clean 1:4 mist and rinse also and still beaded . durable ? eh ! some of these sealant are just not fully removable with a paint cleansing wash only .
great product !
I must add , I only had prima on for 3 weeks tops though .

bcwang
08-01-2013, 12:23 PM
2. Can it be layered? If yes, how long of a wait in between layers? Yes, no wait necessary.

3. Is there a curing time before it can get wet for maximum durability? Water isn't an issue. A strong detergent "might" impact it slightly.

Thanks for all the helpful answers Nick! I'm hoping you can elaborate more on these two.

Are you actually saying you can build up layers by spraying and wiping dry, then going and doing it again and again? Is this giving more protection, durability, and/or gloss?

And how long after the last application is Hydro Max fully cured, cross-linked, and ready for anything? :such as topping with a carnauba, washing with detergent, or to brave the winter driving road salt spray?

It sounded like you answered "no wait time" but I know many sealants require 12 hours to cure where even nighttime condensation can ruin it. So knowing how Hydro Max behaves in this regard is important to know how to use it for maximum durability. It would be quite unique if Hydro Max is fully setup once buffed off and could be layered immediately after and actually form a thicker coating.

Thanks Nick!

PA DETAILER
08-02-2013, 09:19 AM
amazing product! currently have this on. here is my review on it.....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/63856-prima-hydro-max-review.html

Nick@Prima
08-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Sure, see below.

Thanks for all the helpful answers Nick! I'm hoping you can elaborate more on these two.

Are you actually saying you can build up layers by spraying and wiping dry, then going and doing it again and again? Is this giving more protection, durability, and/or gloss? It will give you a more even and consistent coat resulting in all of the above. There is also a layering/thickening effect.

And how long after the last application is Hydro Max fully cured, cross-linked, and ready for anything? :such as topping with a carnauba, washing with detergent, or to brave the winter driving road salt spray? Most synthetic waxes cure for 24 hours. Our are about 80% done immediately after application. Up to 24 hours after application the product will harden up completely, and gain a bit of gloss.

It sounded like you answered "no wait time" but I know many sealants require 12 hours to cure where even nighttime condensation can ruin it. So knowing how Hydro Max behaves in this regard is important to know how to use it for maximum durability. It would be quite unique if Hydro Max is fully setup once buffed off and could be layered immediately after and actually form a thicker coating. There are many ways to make a polymer sealant. Unless a manufacturer specifically tells you condensation is an issue, it isn't. I'm not saying it isn't plausible, but one should hear it from the manufacturer, not the voices on the internet.

Often people discuss a product and bounce around their process and beliefs. Pretty soon an individual bias becomes conventional wisdom. As a manufacturer, I can assure you early-stage water contact has no effect on neither "many" nor most sealants. It would be an odd exception if it did.

Jumping back, Hydro MAX can be diluted with water. In fact, the sister product, Hydro Seal, needs water for proper application. There are as close to water soluble as you can get. Neither Hydro seal, nor Hydro MAX are in any way negatively affected by early-stage water contact. In reality, cool/cold water can accelerate the cure in many sealants.

Thanks Nick!

bcwang
08-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks Nick. And that's why I like to hear definitive answers from the manufacturer rather than rely on guesses due to other products on the market. Too much mis-information spreads that way.

It would be nice if you put more information out for your products. Prima is generally light on the specifics and it takes a lot of digging around to find out some of the characteristics of your products from your own comments around the web.

I guess two main sealants I use are very sensitive to early water contact. UPGP and WG DGPS 3.0. I've seen dramatic decrease in durability due to night time dew. If garage applied and left for a whole day, it becomes a totally different experience. That's why I asked about the specifics of Hydro Max.

Hydro Max wasn't very slick for me right after application. I had a comparison panel with polycharged aquawax which was much slicker. After a couple of hours they became more comparable so I thought it definitely had some cure time changes going on. I'll check again tonight to see if things have improved further, after 24 hours of good conditions.

mg6045
09-29-2014, 02:02 PM
It would be nice if you put more information out for your products. Prima is generally light on the specifics and it takes a lot of digging around to find out some of the characteristics of your products from your own comments around the web.

Thats about as heavy on specifics as i have ever seen come directly from a manufacturer all within 2 posts. Its quite obvious that Prima likes to let the products speak for themselves And they do a great job at that. It looks to me like they prefer NOT to overcomplicate things and i respect that greatly !!!

ScottB
09-29-2014, 04:49 PM
I have been using it for the last month, I love the beading (its rains everyday in Florida) and the gloss after use. My wife likes the smell of slick better ... but that's simply splitting hairs.