PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

WFZone
05-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I think that I am going about this detailing stuff in the wrong fashion because I feel like I am piece mealing things together so I need some expert advice.....

1. I have a 98 Honda Acord that is Black with some minor scratches in the paint and swirls. Scratches came along when my 5 yr old decided to help Dad wash the car. Cloth interior.
2. I have a brand new Honda Ridgeline that I am in love with and want to keep it looking great. It is silver with grey leather. (I know Black would have been better but I live in Ohio and I have to work for a living)
3. I also have a BMW motorcycle but I use Plexus on it about twice a week and like what it does for the bike.

Considerations:

1. I am not a detailer by profession but I am interested in the Porter Cable machine to assist me.
2. I bought some of Sovergn wax that was on special.
3. I have some of Zaino products but I am not overly thrilled with the idea of using them.
4. I have never clayed my cars. What do you think of using the claying pad on PC?
4. What products would you recommend? Pads, machine, wash, wax, & in between washes?

What to order????

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Neothin
05-31-2006, 10:13 AM
with the kid and work taking up your time, I'd look for something that gives you some durability.
Klasse All-In-One topped with 2-3 layers of something like DP Premium Surface Shield, or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Buy the spray versions of these products to go with whichever that you buy and use it after your car washes to extend the durability (significantly i might add). I'd use the souveran on the black accord, while the work truck gets the sealant.
You also should think about getting a quick detailer spray. I prefer ClearKote's Quikshine.
Pick up a good deal of microfiber. You really can't have enough. A few polishing towels for removing products off the paint, a few plush towels for quick detailing between washes, a couple of waffle weaves for drying, and a couple of all purpose towels for anything.
A foam gun, a good soap, and some quality sheepskin mitts will go a long way to keep your car/truck looking good. AG sells the gilmour brand foamgun which has now become the standard in detailers arsenals. For soap, I really like poorboy's super slick & suds. works great by both foam gun and in a traditional bucket wash. For mitts, i get mine at walmart. The eurow brand is surprisingly good.
For the machine, I like to have flat pads. There are ones out there that are curvy and whatnot, but i stick to the tried and true flat ones. 6" pads should be fine. A couple of polishing pads and a finishing pad or two should suite you well.
DP has a nice clay bar. It's grey in color. I had no problems getting all the contaminents off of an abused tacoma the other day with just a couple of passes with the clay.
If you want to get into actual polishing with an abrasive, both the poorboy's and XMT lineups are nice. if you go this route, you make want to pick up a light cutting and/or a cutting pad to go on the machine.
picking up a gallon of diluteable all purpose cleaner is never a bad idea.
DP's interior surface protectant is a nice product that leaves very little gloss behind (so you wont get blinded by reflected sunlight when driving). Meguiar's quick interior detailer is a nice cleaning product to be used before using the protectant.

anything else you were thinking about?

FloridaNative
05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
4. I have never clayed my cars. What do you think of using the claying pad on PC?
4. What products would you recommend? Pads, machine, wash, wax, & in between washes?
Mike[/quote]

Do the clay by hand with a good lubricant.
As far as the pads, I really like the new edge 2000 ones. They are reversible so you really get two pads in one. For the black car you could get some poorboy's for the swirls or the new XMT. :)

ScottB
05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I like to follow the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) mentality when there is something I dont know, or learning something new. I feel its very valuable here as well : (and no I am not calling anyone names)

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-world-sale.html
(two kits , one with machine, and one without, everything you need for all three vehicles)

now lets add some wash (http://www.autogeek.net/pbss32.html), and a clay kit (http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html). You literally are set with products providing great results and easy to use.

And you can use the Souveran Paste instead of Nattys as choice. It will make the black look awesome, and just might replace the Plexus on the bike.