PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Wax VS. Paste Wax

Pages : [1] 2

stilltipping3
08-06-2013, 05:12 AM
I hear people all the time saying why use paste wax when you can apply liquid wax so much easier? Can any1 answer why they use paste wax over liquid wax?

HateSwirls
08-06-2013, 05:49 AM
I don't see any difference in the two except the liquid is much easier to apply.
Plus a bottle last me much longer than using a paste.

stilltipping3
08-06-2013, 05:52 AM
I have tons of products but only one paste wax and that's just to play with it. Im not sure on spending all kinds of money on this stuff!

TroyScherer
08-06-2013, 06:16 AM
It really comes down to personal preference.

Some like the "old school" style of using and applying a paste wax. Some like to use a liquid because it spreads easier for them, or they like to apply with a DA. (You can use a DA with a paste wax as well but not quite as easy.) Also some companies only make one type or another. If you want to use Auto Finesse waxes you will have to use a paste as they don't make a liquid version of their waxes.

stilltipping3
08-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Is Zymol really that good?

forrest@mothers
08-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Generally speaking, paste is a better value.

The average user (which likely excludes many here), gets 3 applications out of a 16 oz bottle of wax. Assuming it costs $10, that's $3.33 for materials.

With a can of hard cake paste like we offer, though, it's more like 20 applications. Assuming it's $15 for that 11 oz can, that's $0.75 per application.

Also, with the average consumer there's less chance of applying a paste too heavy, like liquids usually are. That saves product and makes removal easier.

I don't see a difference between hand application and removal of liquid versus paste. They both go on, and come off the same, assuming you apply the proper amount.

TroyScherer
08-06-2013, 08:40 AM
The average user (which likely excludes many here), gets 3 applications out of a 16 oz bottle of wax. Assuming it costs $10, that's $3.33 for materials.

:eek:

Only 3 applications out of a 16 oz bottle of wax??? I would guess most of use can get at least 10-12 if not more. I bet some of use could get even more than 16 if we tried.

Desertnate
08-06-2013, 08:41 AM
I haven't used a wax in a long time, but when I did it was from a can.

Like Forrest metioned, I found the paste much easier to apply by hand. Now that I'm using a DA polisher, I don't know if I'd go back to paste (if I returned to waxes) because of the difficulty in getting the product on the pad.

TroyScherer
08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Is Zymol really that good?

???

How about a little more info for your question.... Are asking about the liquid version you get at the auto parts store? The paste version? Which one specifically????

af90
08-06-2013, 08:44 AM
:eek:

Only 3 applications out of a 16 oz bottle of wax??? I would guess most of use can get at least 10-12 if not more. I bet some of use could get even more than 16 if we tried.

Especially by machine.

I haven't used a wax in a long time, but when I did it was from a can.

Like Forrest metioned, I found the paste much easier to apply by hand. Now that I'm using a DA polisher, I don't know if I'd go back to paste (if I returned to waxes) because of the difficulty in getting the product on the pad.

What size pads are you using? I find 3" pads make it much easier to use paste waxes, not only getting it out of the jar but I don't have to change pads mid waxing to switch backing plates and such.

FUNX650
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I have tons of products but only one paste wax and that's just to play with it.

Do you have any other LSP's besides the one paste wax?
What are your thoughts regarding other types of LSP's besides waxes?

Im not sure on spending all kinds of money on this stuff!

You're at the right place if/when you need detailing-supplies...
Plenty of sales-events take place at AGO...Save Up!!!

:)

Bob

Desertnate
08-06-2013, 09:16 AM
What size pads are you using? I find 3" pads make it much easier to use paste waxes, not only getting it out of the jar but I don't have to change pads mid waxing to switch backing plates and such.

I'm using a 6" pad, so the only option at this point would be to spread it on with a butter knife/putty knife. However, with so many great waxes and sealants available in liquid form, I'd be hard pressed to go with a paste. Although some Colonite products are tempting....

ncee
08-06-2013, 09:42 AM
So are folks saying that Carnauba wax is out, and liquid waxes are in / better?

Skip

TroyScherer
08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
So are folks saying that Carnauba wax is out, and liquid waxes are in / better?

Skip

Not better -or- worse... Just different methods to getting to the same goal...

It really comes down to personal preference.

Some like the "old school" style of using and applying a paste wax. Some like to use a liquid because it spreads easier for them, or they like to apply with a DA. (You can use a DA with a paste wax as well but not quite as easy.) Also some companies only make one type or another. If you want to use Auto Finesse waxes you will have to use a paste as they don't make a liquid version of their waxes.

ncee
08-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Ok, so what is everyones opinion of what to use when cleaning, waxing a 2012 Toyota Avalon?

I did a clay cleaning, then buffed with Meguirs swirl remover. I'd like to do it all over again, with the 1,2 or 3 steps / products that would work best.

Skip