PDA

View Full Version : Will polishing remove bug guts?

Herrmann22
08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Do I really need to remove surface stuff like bug guts and road gunk or will a decent cutting foam pad using a DA polisher achieve the same results?

Not being lazy, just want to use my time wisely.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AG Online

Marc Hufnagel
08-11-2013, 08:38 PM
wow. umm yes.

custmsprty
08-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Do I really need to remove surface stuff like bug guts and road gunk or will a decent cutting foam pad using a DA polisher achieve the same results?

Not Lovebugs in Floirda if they've had time to etch the paint, which is a day or two.

Herrmann22
08-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Ohio here. Nothing major. Sorry if I asked a stupid question. New to this. Thanks.

Boudin
08-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Yes the paint needs to be clean and free of any bugs or tar before polishing. I would also recommend you clay bar before polishing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blackthorn One
08-11-2013, 09:15 PM

You don't know what is in that road gunk, and maybe the bug's guts are covering some grit. You don't want that grit to be picked up by the pad and possibly causes scratches all over the car. Spray some road grime remover on the area to loosen it up before you wash. Should come off easy. Better safe than sorry. Shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to do.

john b
08-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Ohio here. Nothing major. Sorry if I asked a stupid question. New to this. Thanks.

no such thang as a stupid question

Herrmann22
08-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I didn't think so. Thanks.

eyost
08-11-2013, 09:42 PM
You don't know what is in that road gunk, and maybe the bug's guts are covering some grit. You don't want that grit to be picked up by the pad and possibly causes scratches all over the car. Spray some road grime remover on the area to loosen it up before you wash. Should come off easy. Better safe than sorry. Shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to do.

Do you have a favorite road grime remover?

Blackthorn One
08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Do you have a favorite road grime remover?

I presoak with a foam gun, and always wash a car twice, first lightly with boar's hair brush, then rinse and re foam, and then wash with a bucket and mitt. I have always been able to remove all bugs and grime easily with this method. A little extra rubbing for 5 seconds at most is all I've ever needed doing this.
That said, an APC like Optimum Power Clean would probably be an excellent choice. It is made to be used on paint, it has cleaning power and lubricity, and is not too expensive, imo, at $35.99 per gallon, or diluted at 3:1 for $15.33 per gallon or less for this.

Optimum Power Clean All Purpose Cleaner 17 oz.Free Bonus! (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html)

Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/128oz-optimum-power-clean-apc.html)

Crispy
08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
To remove bug guts you need to dissolve the stain and get rid of the underlying dirt first.I used to use Clay Bar to remove any stains that 10% alcohol water solution or degreaser would not remove. I used the clay with a detailer and while it took awhile, results were good. Last week I tried the Speedy Surface Prep Towel-Fine Grade and it is way better than the clay.The Speedy Surface Prep Towel (SSPT) makes a sound like rough sandpaper when first applied (a bit unnerving). You need lots of detailer (I used the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer) but it doesn't scratch the surface at all.I even removed black over spray that had been on the paint for over two months, so bug guts should be easy. With the SSPT you can do the entire car in under an hour. If the stain has etched into the paint then buffing will remove it - just takes more time.

NickZ28
08-12-2013, 02:54 PM
no such thang as a stupid question

:xyxthumbs: I agree...that's how we all learn from one another!

Herrmann22
08-12-2013, 09:00 PM
I work in the IT profession and although I know my trade fairly well I never poke fun at someone who asks even the most silliest question because I understand they don't have the same knowledge as I may have when it comes to my job. This comes with maturity I suppose.

Carry on..... and again, thanks for the info!