PDA

View Full Version : Question about glass cleaner and streaking

MrOneEyedBoh
08-12-2013, 04:42 AM
I use the megs bulk glass cleaner and I like it. But one issue I have with it, is when I clean the windows they look great. As soon as I get one day with humidity ( usually when I'm going to work in the AM ) I get streaks everywhere. I mean bad... Any idea on what's what? And its as soon 12 hours later.

PiPUK
08-12-2013, 09:58 AM
I use the megs bulk glass cleaner and I like it. But one issue I have with it, is when I clean the windows they look great. As soon as I get one day with humidity ( usually when I'm going to work in the AM ) I get streaks everywhere. I mean bad... Any idea on what's what? And its as soon 12 hours later.

Glass cleaners are difficult products. Residues tend to be much more visible than elsewhere, this is the reason why glass cloths are so popular - they are rather effective at removing the residue. Don't take this as gospel on the megs product (I don't know the exact make up) but it is somewhat normal to have a residue. This can be relatively minimal and not visible when buffed off. However, when it gets humid, the remaining residue will effectively take in the moisture from the air and then redeposit the residue in a much more visible form. That much does not surprise me.

There are ways to potentially improve this with some of the newer surfactants but it is still no guarantee.

Shane731
08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
You probably have streaks you're not aware of, and they just show up when it gets humid. Best way to eliminate those streaks is to check your work with the Brinkmann.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/48791-cierasl-s-guide-streak-free-windows.html

nubaseal
08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I found that Meg's glass cleaner streaks on me too. I switched to Sonax and found it to be so much better.

nissenc1337
08-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Use news paper instead of papertowels/microfiber/anything. News paper is the way to go when cleaning any time of glass.

allenk4
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Fast Glass Towel

Used it for the 1st time this morning on a 2003 M5 that had not been washed or interior detailed in over 2 years.

Worked fantastic! I don't think I will ever buy glass cleaner again.

You must wring this thing within an inch of its life. I do not think someone with weak hands should even buy one.

Just a warning though...when it arrives in a plain plastic bag with no label or instructions...you will say, "I just paid $5 for this!"

You won't be sorry.

Dimetera413
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I had streaking problems too for years. I found that using a short nap microfiber towel in the 16x16 size is perfect for windows. I spray some CG Glassworkz on my towel, wipe down the window, flip the cloth over and buff with the dry side to remove any residue and make sure you wash your window towels by themselves with NO other towels. Will help tons.

Rsurfer
08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I had streaking problems too for years. I found that using a short nap microfiber towel in the 16x16 size is perfect for windows. I spray some CG Glassworkz on my towel, wipe down the window, flip the cloth over and buff with the dry side to remove any residue and make sure you wash your window towels by themselves with NO other towels. Will help tons.

Get the KD Glass Cloth and you can skip the Glassworkz. Just plain water for a streak free glass. This microfiber has the shortest nap almost like a paper towel, but it's re-useable time and time again.

XSSIVE
08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Ahhh glass cleaning, ask a different detailer, get a different answer. :D

For me it's two towels, both waffle, one for the initial cleaning/wiping of the cleaner on the glass the second used dry for buffing over the area. I found I quite like Meg's D120 after testing a few glass cleaners.

sweatthedetails
08-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Well i will add my 2 cents. Dont use news paper, the ink will bleed. Use a 2-towel method one wet and one dry, should take care of most streaking problems.

cleanmycorolla
08-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Good call Glassworkz is good stuff!

nissenc1337
08-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Well i will add my 2 cents. Dont use news paper, the ink will bleed. Use a 2-towel method one wet and one dry, should take care of most streaking problems.

Interesting, i've been using newspaper for years with no bleeding. Just beautiful, streak free, crystal clear glass! :xyxthumbs:

BillE
08-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Interesting, i've been using newspaper for years with no bleeding. Just beautiful, streak free, crystal clear glass! :xyxthumbs:

Sounds like you and I went to the same 'school.'

Disclaimer: I'm only referring to 'auto glass' not 'house windows.' For those, it's squidgy (sp?) time.

Bill