PDA

View Full Version : Brakes make a slight grinding sound and engine has a rattle

Bill1234
09-10-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a 2004 audi a6, I was driving around today and I have some pressure on the brake pad, however,there is a slight grinding sound and theres a small rattle and sucking noise near the engine and steering wheel, I dont know if I need power steering fluid, but help would be appreciated with these issues

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I think that sucking noise is a money pit--keep away from that! Usually if you are low on PS fluid you will hear a whining noise, especially when turning the wheel. Have you checked the level on the steering fluid? There is a small reservoir in the engine bay, usually it is translucent and had lines on the side for the proper level, although some have a dipstick in the cap. Make sure you use the right fluid if you have to add some. Before you ask, look in the owner's manual to see what the right fluid is, or it may say on the cap.

Bill1234
09-10-2013, 07:50 PM
For example, when I turn the steering wheel near when it cannot be turned anymore, it starts the noise, the sucking sound is like sucking up a small puddle of water with a vaccum, any ideas what that could be?

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, as Henny Youngman would answer, if you are saying it makes a noise you don't like when you turn the wheel too far...don't turn the wheel that far.

Bill1234
09-10-2013, 08:01 PM
I get your point, ill check the manual and see about power steering

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Maybe if you could get us a picture it would help with the diagnosis.

Bill1234
09-10-2013, 08:04 PM
I dont have a camera that will take pictures of sound, but do you mean to take a picture of the inside of the brake disc?

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I dont have a camera that will take pictures of sound, but do you mean to take a picture of the inside of the brake disc?

I thought it was the steering?

goldendodo19
09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Bill go on an Audi forum and ask these questions please. I didn't even need to see the first post and I knew it was you just by the title.

custmsprty
09-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Bill go on an Audi forum and ask these questions please. I didn't even need to see the first post and I knew it was you just by the title.

:iagree:or better yet take it to an Audi dealership before you do real damage or it gets terminal.

cartman57
09-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Where you normally park the car at night do you notice any fluid on the ground? You could have a PS hose leak or a seal leak on the rack and pinion steering assembly.
Very difficult to diagnose with how you explained it.
Go to the mechanic that's done work on your car before and have them check it out.