How do you guys prep that plastic "fake chrome" grill/trim material

House of Wax

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing paint correction and a sealant on my wife's car this weekend. I'm wondering what you guys do to polish up that fake chrome material that is used on grills and trim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there isn't really any "correcting" you can do with that material right? I just want to get it looking as best it can before I put a sealant on it.

i would tape off the abs plastic chrome painted grill for last then i would try meguiars m205 or scratch x and work the compound in gently with a microfiber towel by hand because you dont want to go through the painted chrome you wont be able to.remove all defects but some you will

I use Autoglym Glass Polish to prep and clean those shiny chrome plastics. It is mentioned on the bottle that this can be used to clean the "brightworks".

I am very impressed with the result, a very clean, bright and shiny finish, not to mention it removes water spots & contaminants effortlessly too. Definitely better & easier to use than finishing polishes I have tried as it smears and leaves oily residue.

I then top just with D156 to protect it.

However AG doesn't stock Autoglym products.

I just use an AOI (Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax) very GENTLY. The cladding is ridiculous thin (and not that 'tough')!

Bill

Back