Cleaning Wheels in Winter w/Rinseless or Waterless?

tswitz

Reaction score
Being that I live in northern Ohio, the winters are cold & snowy....therefore lots and lots of salt is used on the roads. I've decided on using a rinseless wash for the car panels but I'm at a loss on how to handle the wheels. How do you folks handle this?

Thanks!

you can use rinseless wash and microfiber towels to wipe the face of your wheels down but if you want to clean the barrels too use wheel woolies or large spoke brush with a rinseless wash to clean the barrels

You'll be fine using a rinseless or waterless. You can always use a coin op washing area as well

Is it too cold to use a pressure washer to wash it down (paint and wheels) before doing the rinseless?

Is it too cold to use a pressure washer to wash it down (paint and wheels) before doing the rinseless?
Sometimes Bunky. NE Ohio snowfall totals have been light over the past few years but temps are generally below freezing so I don't want to use the pressure washer with those types of temps for fear of damaging it as well as creating an ice rink in my driveway. I suppose I could rinse with clean water and a MF towel. Just was curious what others do in such instances.

I wash them last with winter rinseless routine. Dump left over rinseless solution into my wheel bucket, use a wheel brush to get the surface of the wheel and tire, dunk it, and do it one more time to make all the dirt falls off. Sometimes I'll do the barrelss with my Daytona Jr., must mosly don't in the winter. Then I dry with a MF towel.

I use the left over rinseless but also have a mf glove that use to get around the spokes and into the barrels, even reach into the wheelwells too. If the tires are that bad I've sprayed Bleach-White on the tires w/ my GG foam sprayer, let it do its thing and then wipe down with the left over rinseless and mf glove, no problems, ever!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Sometimes Bunky. NE Ohio snowfall totals have been light over the past few years but temps are generally below freezing so I don't want to use the pressure washer with those types of temps for fear of damaging it as well as creating an ice rink in my driveway. I suppose I could rinse with clean water and a MF towel. Just was curious what others do in such instances.

Not sure how going to the coin-op self serve wash would create a rink in the driveway? I have the same problem here in Iowa and I will probably try to hit the coin op at least once a month and just take my speed master with me. Power rinse the wheels then brush the barrels and power rinse again. When I do a RW in the garage, I'll probably only clean the wheel face and let the barrels ride until my next trip to the coin op.

If you seal the wheels with a sealant or coating after a damn good clean not only will this offer greater protection but will make rinseless or waterless washing much easier

I wash them last with winter rinseless routine. Dump left over rinseless solution into my wheel bucket, use a wheel brush to get the surface of the wheel and tire, dunk it, and do it one more time to make all the dirt falls off. Sometimes I'll do the barrelss with my Daytona Jr., must mosly don't in the winter. Then I dry with a MF towel.

I use the left over rinseless

I agree with the above. After washing all of the vehicle, use the left over rinseless wash with an assortment of brushes to wash your wheels. Heck even mix up a fresh batch of rinseless wash.

We show this approach at the 30:30 mark in this new video...

How to use Meguiar's D114 & D115 Rinse Free Express Wash

[video=youtube_share;cICbdJocUI4"]Rinse Free Express Wash[/video]

If you seal the wheels with a sealant or coating after a damn good clean not only will this offer greater protection but will make rinseless or waterless washing much easier

This is why I coated the back sides of my painted wheels while I had the wheels and tires off to rotate them. I also treated the backside of the tires with Tuff Shine Tire Clear Coat to make them easier to keep clean.

How to Clean & Coat the INSIDE of your car's wheels

Time to apply Detailer's Wheel Coating, for this I'm using a Blue Finger Pocket, note the hard to capture spray coming out of the nozzle shot...
biggrin.gif

Detailers_Wheel_Coating_029.jpg

Next I sprayed some directly onto the wheel...

Detailers_Wheel_Coating_030.jpg

Rubber the coating in really well.... I don't ever want to do this again if I don't have to, I could have been at the pool on this day...

Detailers_Wheel_Coating_031.jpg

And there we go, the backs of the wheels are completely coated and protected. This will make cleaning them faster and easier into the future!

Detailers_Wheel_Coating_035.jpg

:)

I appreciate all the feedback! Going to clean and treat my wheels before winter for sure. Thanks again :)

Spray the wheels good with a Rinseless wash then use a MF towel using a Rinseless wash solution and wipe each wheel good.
Pretty much the same as doing body panels.
I'd seal them real good afterwards for protection.

Back