Need repaint advice

add lightness

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently managed to crunch up the corner of my Miata; long story short I'm replacing the front bumper cover and fender. I'm concerned with getting a decent paint match though, this car has it's original 22 year old single stage paint. I've heard that it's almost impossible to find someone to spray SS nowadays. I haven't been able to talk to the body shop that I've been recommended (by a friend of my dad, insurance isn't involved), but I'm expecting that they're going to say no to SS.

So, how difficult is it going to be to get a clear coat finish to match the original paint, both in terms of color and gloss? Will there be a discernible difference in finish even if a perfect color match is achieved? I'm also concerned that the two paints will react to wax/LSP differently. Any input on this? I'm really devastated that I did this to my car, and I'd like to get as perfect of a fix as possible.

fyi - I'm going to get the two new panels painted off of the car, no blending involved. I plan just give them the old fender which is in nice shape besides the crunched portion. It also has this textured chip guard paint on the rockers that I'm sure will be a pain (read: expensive) to texture match.

Here's a before shot for reference: :)

IMG_5567 by add_lightness, on Flickr

I would find a shop that will do a single stage repaint.

You've had the car 22 years, it's obviously important to you. I'm sure there is a high reputation shop somewhere reasonably close to get the job done the way you want it.

I can tell the difference between clear coated and single stage pretty easy just by looking at it. Especially since it will be right next to an original panel I'm sure someone that is on autogeek will be able to tell the differences as well. You might have to go to a restoration shop instead of your standard body shop, or try the shops that are privately owned and not chains. It's all going to depend on the regulations where you live and the policy of the shop. You might pay more at a specialty shop, but you have a better chance of getting what you want. Also make sure they check the paint code and lazer match the color. That car is getting up in years and the color might be more faded than you think.

That much of a difference? I guess I'll call around if my first choice place won't do ss.

I would find a shop that will do a single stage repaint.

You've had the car 22 years, it's obviously important to you. I'm sure there is a high reputation shop somewhere reasonably close to get the job done the way you want it.

Not quite that long... it's older than I am. ;)

Back