Marketing help

barry50208

Reaction score
Going to start doing detailing for company I work for and want some advice on pricing I got the form I received from mike the VIF but I live in a small town in Iowa and dont see people spending that much any ideas on price per hour would help also if anyone has a checklist of other options for customers to choose (upsell) please let me know ill post email address to send to

Thanks

Sent from my MB855 using AG Online

Yeah, what do you need to make per hour and or per vehicle to cover the cost of everything involved and make you happy to do what you do for a living? If people can't afford to pay what you need that don't perform services that they can't afford. What I mean is if people can't afford paint correction then perform a one step using an AIO or your own version of such. You have to give a market what it wants and can handle price-wise. If you and the market can't find a meeting ground then you need to provide a different service, find a different line of work, and or find a different market that can support you. Most people can afford things they just don't budget for them or don't want to pay for them.

Will post some stuff later today or tomorrow. Heading to church in a few.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Working as a sub contractor or employee?

Sent from my Prism II using AG Online

As an employee, your only concern should be is getting the job done. You should not need to worry about pricing or materials unless you are or will be a manager or in sales. If you are wanting a price per hour or car for the job you will be doing then experience matters. How much experience do you have?

The numbers on the VIF are just there for example and you being new shouldn't be going after numbers like that.

Now as for everything else if your going to be an employee and not a sub contractor then I would assume your going to be getting a fixed hourly rate?

If so then I would think your going to be using all the tools and products they have in the shop.

What is your experience level and what tools and products will you being using?

Owner of company put me in charge on getting everything setup just starting on detailing

youre gonna have to do ALOT of research and practice if you are just starting..

I know went to class couple weeks ago been doing a car every weekend since

Barry, looks like you have started your own company. Keep researching, do the work, do the research, then get out there on your own. Tell the boss to blank blank.

He paid for class plane hotel car and all equipment not so easy to go on own

Idk...

It sounds like he has done you the favor so you can start out. So keep learning as much a possible. And keep doing a great job. And building up a clientele. And if the time ever comes, you can go on your way with what you learned. An not burn any bridges.

That's how I learned more working for my uncles body shop. Did I get paid good money? You guys would laugh if i told you guys how much I got paid or working 9 hours a day Mon-Fri and sometimes Saturdays.

But now I have more knowledge than I started out with. My uncle would always say "school is not free"

I was in a way lucky to be getting paid o learn as I go. In the beginning (drum roll...) I did burn a few cars, but then I learned why an how to prevent it. Those cars were my test panels, and I was getting paid to learn. A lot of these detailing "how to courses" charge in the $1,000's. I am sure it would be worth it learning hands on from a true professional, but until then. You have to start somewhere and if you are getting paid, then even better.

Just my opinion (everyone is entitled to their own)

Art

Barry if the boss paid for the classes and all then all I can say is get that money bro. Build his clientele. Learn all about the business, the prices, the chemicals, and management of business and employees. And start going to school part time for business. Good luck in your new venture.

Yeah, what do you need to make per hour and or per vehicle to cover the cost of everything involved and make you happy to do what you do for a living? If people can't afford to pay what you need that don't perform services that they can't afford. What I mean is if people can't afford paint correction then perform a one step using an AIO or your own version of such. You have to give a market what it wants and can handle price-wise. If you and the market can't find a meeting ground then you need to provide a different service, find a different line of work, and or find a different market that can support you. Most people can afford things they just don't budget for them or don't want to pay for them.

This is the absolute truth.

Look at your competition. How busy are they? What do they charge? Where's your skill level compared to theirs?

Do you have different levels/packages? People like choices. Have something for every budget. Entry-level package with a basic exterior wash, mid-level, so on and so on. Offer a 3-step Full Paint Correction and offer to do 'test spots'. That always gets em.

NOTHING will beat on the job training. Once you've handled almost every situation thrown at you, and can come up with a plan of attack in your mind as you're looking at the vehicle, you're on your way.

As for products, don't think the average joe is going to have nay idea regarding the boutique items so many of us get all googly eyed over. For MOST, interiors are what's important.

Look for products you can cross-utilize. For example, my Meg's APC+ can be used on everything from engine bays, wheels, tires, wheel wells, upholstery, vinyl, carpet, etc.
It's absolutely the ONE product I couldn't live without.

Need to clean the crud off a steering wheel,....grab a toothbrush and Stoner's Invisible Glass and a mf towel.

I could ramble on, but you understand.

Good luck.

Back