some questions about pads/product use/

olenderc

Reaction score
With some of the recent sales that have been going on I was thinking of maybe purchasing a 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads. I was wondering what most people would recommend? I own a GG6.

I've read through a couple dozen threads and it seems to be narrowed down to MF pads for cutting (currently own 2 x 6" Meg's MF cutting pads), but would there be any need to purchase 5" MF cutting pads for the 5" backing plate or could I get away with using my 6" pads still?

I was thinking of picking up a 6 pack of 5.5" foam pads. I currently own 6.5" LC flat pads. Should I stick with LC flat pads or would I be better off with CCS pads, Hydrotech pads, or none of the above? Thinking of getting 3 orange/3 white, as I assume I could get away with using my 6.5" black pads for any of the light work that would be associated with that type of finishing pad (wax/sealant,light cleaner wax maybe)

I am a weekend warrior and only polish my own car and maybe a buddy or two's car once in a while. So realistically speaking, I feel like I'd end up never using my old 6.5" pads anymore, which would kind of feel like a waste to me. I use a GG6, and though I know I have decent power behind it, I feel my work would be more effective/efficient with 5.5" pads. This hobby has become a part-time obsession and sometimes I feel like I'm blowing too much money on stuff I'll barely use often enough to justify buying :laughing::buffing:, anyone else ever feel that way?

Also I wanted to address a concern I had regarding priming pads. I've always followed Mike Phillips' advice on properly priming a pad and use a decent size spiral of product over the entire pad then work it in with my finger. I feel like this uses a decent amount of product especially if you expect to use a solid 3-5 pads per correction step and have to re-prime each new pad (assuming a 2 step). I would rather prevent DA haze and micro-marring from dry pad rubbing against paint in un-primed areas of the pad, but I feel like it uses a lot of product. How much use from say a 16 or 32 oz bottle of compound/polish do you folks typically expect/see?

Bump. I'm a novice and would be curious to see responses on this question myself.

Short answer since I'm just on my phone...

you are going to want to match your pad size to your backing plate.reason is because the area of the pad outside of the backing plate will not be correcting as much as parts of the pad receiving direct downward pressure from the backing plate. As you mentioned this probably won't matter as much with the finishing pads.

I've never tracked exactly how much product is used per vehicle since each situation is different. I would guess maybe 6-8oz of compound and a little less polish for a 2 step correction on a mid sized sedan.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using AG Online

I definitely agree with you on the overhanging part of the pad not doing much if any work, might be good to pick up a 5" pad if I pick up a smaller backing plate. However, that is my dilemma, is it worth the extra money and loss of much use for the nine 6" inch pads I currently own to purchase a smaller backing plate and additional pads. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Back