Building a kit - What am I missing?

BigSpoonyBard

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm picking up a brand new Mazda 3 at the end of the month and decided I'm going to take hella good care of it. This is my first foray into truly taking care of a car. I've never even waxed a car before (I know! I know!). So I'm really starting from scratch. I've done a lot of browsing on here and learned a lot, so my confidence is moderate.

I've placed an order through here, another via Amazon, and grabbed a bunch of stuff from the current Target clearance (hence all the Meguiar's stuff). I was hoping if I listed out what I've got so far, I could get a bit of feedback on what everyone thinks I might still need or how my current combination of products will work (or if I just lost my mind and bought too much stuff).

Brushes, Towels, and Applicators
Mother's Interior and Upholstery Brush
Mother's Fender Well Brush
12-Pack Chemical Guys 16x16 Microfiber Towels
Cobra Guzzler Combo Kit
6-pair Microfiber Gloves
Stoner's Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool
2-Pack Generic Microfiber Applicator Pads
Generic Microfiber Wash Sponge
Generic Tire and Wheel Brush Set

Cleaners, Waxes, and Protectants
Meguiar's Gold Shampoo
Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
Meguiar's Gold Plus Paste Wax
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Paint Sealant
Meguiars Leather Wipes
303 High Tech Fabric Guard
Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Spray
Mother's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner
Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Blocker
Stoner Invisible Glass Aerosol
Meguiar's Gold All Wheel Cleaner

Miscellaneous
2-Pack Grit Guard
Windshield Sun Shade

Still to Buy
A couple buckets
A quick wax spray for touch-ups after washing

Wishlisted
A DA system

I'm hoping this covers me for most general scenarios. Thoughts?

most of the stuff you listed are available at your local autoparts store.. where do you live?

and yes, you went to far with the buying

you want to take great care of the new whip and want to keep it in its best condition.. this means machine polishing.

wash, clay, polish, wax

Wheels: apc, diablo gel, p21s, sonax / / bucket w/ grit guard, lug nut brush, daytona speed brush
tire & fender wells: apc //tuff shine tire mothers long brush
wash: honey dew (lsp safe) and citrus wash red (stripper) <- either can be used in foam gun/cannon / / 2 buckets w/ grit guards, chenille mitt
dry: master blaster, side kick, compressed air, waffle weave towel
clay: sooo many options / / clay patty, mitt, pad
sealant: wgdgps3.0, powerlock, opticoat,

basic of basic

most of the stuff you listed are available at your local autoparts store.. where do you live?

I'm in Michigan. Target had all the Meguiar's stuff on clearance as well as the generic brushes and stuff, so I just grabbed that since it would be most cost-effective right off the bat.

Duragloss Aquawax is yer best bet in my opinion on the spray wax.

As to the Mothers interior upholstery brush, I have it i too. It's seems very aggressive. i.e. dashboard, steering wheel etc... (Too aggressive IMO)

and yes, you went to far with the buying
Well, at least it was for a good cause, right? :dblthumb2:
you want to take great care of the new whip and want to keep it in its best condition.. this means machine polishing.
Is a machine polisher really needed when the paint is new? The day I get it, I plan on washing, claying, and sealing, all by hand. A DA system is something I want down the road, but I definitely can't pick one up right now.

As to the Mothers interior upholstery brush, I have it i too. It's seems very aggressive. i.e. dashboard, steering wheel etc... (Too aggressive IMO)
Do you find it too harsh on carpets and seats? It doesn't feel too stiff to me, but I haven't tried it out yet.

As someone who was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, I can tell you from my limited experience you'll want some really soft microfiber for wiping down the car with a QD. I'm using Meg's Gold Class Quick Detailer with these towels - just ordered some more. I also bought an inexpensive electric leaf blower to help with the drying ($25 from Amazon). You might want to get some Iron X too in order to decon your new car. I read Mike's article on detailing your new car and found it extremely helpful.

Back