Detail gone wrong.

the_viking

Reaction score
I detailed my dads saab last weekend. I was quite happy with the result right away. (Had too be high on polish!!) Because when I inspected the car after it was done, I saw that the car was all but good!

This is the process:

Washed whith Poorboys SS&S with a washmitt
Clayed with Pinnacle poly clay
Used Optimum hyper compound with a orange pad on the rotary.
Polished with Duragloss #101 by hand
Waxed with Pinnacle souveran liquid wax

Where did I go wrong??

As you can see by the pictures it has some severe holograms on th back panels! This continues over the hole car.. But all in all the car looks better that before.

befores:
DSCF4084800x600.jpg

DSCF4079800x600.jpg

afters:
DSCF4101800x600.jpg

DSCF4098800x600.jpg

The process looks good..but a few things...

you may not have worked the hyper compound long enough to get the corrections....

second ..using Hyper compound you need to follow up with a finer polish with a polishing pad....you need to work the polishes till they reach the final break down stage...

the optimum products take a little time to work ..try using less product and work the areas again....I find using Opt polishes you need to really work them since they have a high lube content...

I am not sure how hard Saab clear is either...

but as I said..after using the hyper..try following with a lighter polish after with a polishing pad...it should clear things up better...

hopefully some one thats done Saab clear will chine in on the hardness of the clear...that helps..if hard you may have to work it a few times...

the finer polish should take your holograms out..

AL

When I think back on the detail I think I used to much product. The paint on the saab is similar too the VAG paint (very hard). Soo I might not have worked the compound long enough.

What polish should I use after the compound? And should i not use the duragloss as the last polish before wax ?

the_viking said:
When I think back on the detail I think I used to much product. The paint on the saab is similar too the VAG paint (very hard). Soo I might not have worked the compound long enough.

What polish should I use after the compound? And should i not use the duragloss as the last polish before wax ?

use less hyper...it will break down faster....and give you results...I use just a few dabs (2) on a pad..the size of a peanut....work it till it goes sorta clear...wipe the area and inspect it...if good move on to next area....

for the final polish ..use a light one...like Opt polish...XMT 1 ....any lite polish will do....

the 101 on the paint is fine...its a sealant type polish ...adds a base for the SOV...

what polishes do you have..then we can see what you can use....any fine polishes..like Opt polish..XMT 1 ..Menzerna....

Al

Al provided nice pointers but you know what nothing wrong with a "bad detail" its good becuase at least you saw the difference, it's all good buddy. Now get back there and fix it ;) hahaha just teasing.

Looking forward on you posting this vehicle again.

Thanks for sharing.

I only have the Ultra Deep Shine from Autoglym. But don't have enough to do a hole car. Soo I think i will bay some new polish.

I'll order some opti polish :)

Back