PDA

View Full Version : Badges and emblems

Calendyr
10-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I am curious, do you guys offer to replace worn out badges and emblems on vehicles?

If so I have a few questions:

1. How do you remove the old one without damaging the paint? I have seens videos about removing them but the guys always use some kind of knife. That's fine if your gonna re-paint the car, but for a detailer I would be really nervous about doing damage to the paint.

2. How much does a replacement badge cost on average and does the price fluctuates a lot from one brand to an other?

3. Are they hard to get or it is something dealerships (or other stores) keep in stock most of the time?

4. What would you charge for the replacement including getting the part?

mfrickman
10-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Easiest way to remove badging and emblems is a heatgun and fishing line. Goo-gone to take off the adhesive. Obviously you will need to clean and reapply your LSP.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

davidg
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I used a heat gun and floss. Then followed with goo-gone (3m would have worked way better)

For my S2000 they are 18 bucks for the side badges (pretty sure that was per side). Been a few years since I was gonna have my fender repaired and painted.

Body shops can get them for you. They will likely not be a stocking item in most shops or dealerships.

I wouldn't. Too much to rely on as far as placement goes and being just perfect with it. Your confidence and need for the service might be higher than what I think would be needed in this area. To get it perfect you can get rather involved. Making a temple before you start so it's perfect going back together and getting it all clean when you pull it off.

Side note: even after polishing after the de-badging you can still see some of the outline, on one side, if the light is just right and you hold your tongue a certain way.

michelliot
10-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Yes, definitely make a temple so you can go in and pray the everything lines up the way they should

Willy Wang
10-22-2013, 02:42 PM
yes, definitely make a temple so you can go in and pray the everything lines up the way they should

lol

Calendyr
10-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Would the new badge not be the exact same shape and size as the one being removed?

Ok so roughly 20$ per badge. And what... 30 minutes to remove old one and apply new one? Does it come with a sticker at the back or do you have to apply some sort of adhesive to make it stick?

So my first instinct was good with hair dryer and dental floss. I did not think of fishing line, that might be stronger than floss.

Question is, should I just ask the Customer to get the badge himself or take it upon myself to find it and get it? What do you guys usually do?

custmsprty
10-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Don't even mess with it imo.

wdmaccord
10-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Sometimes they are slightly different dimensions. Had to replace the "Accord" badge on my 2003 on the trunk. The old one fell off on its own, so removal was easy. Removing the old adhesive took some effort and time. I taped a border around the old adhesive before I started to remove it so I knew where the new one would go. The new one was slightly different size and font...barely, but I am anal and noticed. I got it from the dealership. They are peel and stick, so adhesive is already on the new emblems (I would guess this is true "most" of the time)

I guess if the customer is willing to purchase them ahead of time and bring to the appointment, then go ahead and take a shot at it. It's on you to get them back on in the right spot...and straight. :props:

Kacz
10-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Would the new badge not be the exact same shape and size as the one being removed?

Ok so roughly 20$ per badge. And what... 30 minutes to remove old one and apply new one? Does it come with a sticker at the back or do you have to apply some sort of adhesive to make it stick?

So my first instinct was good with hair dryer and dental floss. I did not think of fishing line, that might be stronger than floss.

Question is, should I just ask the Customer to get the badge himself or take it upon myself to find it and get it? What do you guys usually do?

1. It should be. Sometimes I guess it might not; not sure.

2. Badges usually come as a template and takes about 3 seconds to apply once you align it up because it already has adhesive on it.

3. Hair dryer and fishing line is all I've ever needed. New car badges can be removed on a hot day in direct sunlight at times with just fishing line.

4. I've always gotten mine from a dealership.

If you're removing badges on an older car or a darker car especially; you may see some ghosting of the emblem. Sometimes you can't get rid of that.

spiralout462
10-22-2013, 07:16 PM
People want badges replaced?? I removed mine today. I used braided fishing line and no heat, removed residue with Tarminator then polished and re-sealed. I wouldn't want to mess with aftermarket stuff. If you are gonna take them off either don't put them back on or paint them and re-install.

Evan.J
10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
If your going to remove them make sure you take some measurements so you have a good location of where they need to be placed.

I think you will find that most people will not want to have them removed in fear of them not being placed back on properly.

If I would offer this it would be on special detail where the area behind the badge is holding back the potential of the paint. I would charge at least 50 plus the cost of the new badges should they want them.

Calendyr
10-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

I am not sure if there is demand for that or not but I see damaged badges all the time so I want to know what is involved in replacing them. Seems to me it would complete a full paint correction really well.

Kacz
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
If your going to remove them make sure you take some measurements so you have a good location of where they need to be placed.

I think you will find that most people will not want to have them removed in fear of them not being placed back on properly.

If I would offer this it would be on special detail where the area behind the badge is holding back the potential of the paint. I would charge at least 50 plus the cost of the new badges should they want them.

Most come with a template that lines up to something.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2/012fkj.jpg

This is a picture of the template piece for my STI. I ordered it because I ordered a wingless trunk and had it painted. Took it for someone 2ish years ago for someone that PMed me over there.