PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax

Pages : [1] 2

Dr_Pain
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Would you like a prosumer review of the Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba wax??

If so, keep reading BUT if you are not interested then just look at the pretty pictures

This is the product I am reviewing for you: BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax, car wax, auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-midnight-sun-wax.html)

First off, let me just be honest with you and say that being a stickler for accuracy in details I will have to change the nomenclature of this wax to a hybrid. A wax (at least in my lexicon) refers to a all natural product (like the Son1c wax product I recently reviewed http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/71146-review-bmw-m6-meets-son1c-protowax-54x.html).

According to AG's own website the product is a "combination of super-refined carnauba wax blended with nourishing oils and German polymers". According to the manufacturer it does not contain cleaning agents but does contain "high tech Wet Diamond polymers"

So what peaked my interest in this wax??? Well, according to the product description this hybrid wax "will not haze, streak or cause patches of uneven gloss." and "It's also extremely resistant to high humidity". FURTHERMORE, it also claims that "the polymers used to fortify Midnight Sun are very resistant to high heat and detergent washings " Being that I live in South Louisiana, any high heat or humidity claim gets my attention!!!:dblthumb2:

So what did I get? This fancy box came with a satin pouch which contained the 7.4oz jar of hybrid wax and a foam applicator AND under the pouch found a nice Cobra MF towel (they sure know how to get to my heart :xyxthumbs:)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Blackfire_Midnight_Sun.JPG

The normal cleaning and decontamination processes were observed to produce the best possible substrate for the LSP application. This was follow by a nice thin application of the product.

My first impression of the container was that it fitted very nicely in my hand. The second positive of the container is that the lid opening is just the right size for the applicator. After removing the protective plastic sheet, you find a "tan" looking semi-solid product. It consistency is very similar to other waxes I have used before, so I felt "right at home". I do have to admit though that my first impression of the product did not come from the color or texture but of the smell, which was rather disappointing. It had a very industrial smell to it, in the likes of Collonite 845. I must admit that I've been extra critical of wax smells since working with the Son1cwax Carnaubavore, which is still in my opinion the best smelling product I have encountered so far SON1C Wax Carnaubavore (http://www.autogeek.net/son1c-wax-carnaubavore.html)

So on to the application!! As described, it is a WOWO (wipe on wipe off). You apply the wax to a small section and wipe it off with a clean microfiber. How much easier do you want it?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Wax_hood.JPG

No cure time, no haze.... simply WOWO!! This is definitely a product I could see in my production work, especially if it lives up to its claims of carnauba like looks and sealant durability.

So what about the beading and sheeting? This product does exhibit very good hydrophobic qualities and does produce a pretty bead

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_24264.jpg

Although it did produce a nice bead, I do have to share that I was not super impressed with the qualities of the beading or how rapidly it would shed off the paint. The beads were small but had good height. They were nicely grouped..... but I am a larger bead kinda guy and absolutely love to see beads fly off the paint.

2013 BMW 740Li - Blackfire Midnight Sun Water Bead Test - YouTube (http://youtu.be/LZC0UUXAexg)

Before I get flamed, there is nothing shabby about the results I got, and YES a lot of beads are flying off the paint BUT this is in part because of the spray nozzle back pressure. If you look at the video again you will see that the beads away from the spray nozzle stay "nice and pretty" and don't fly off the paint. I deliberately chose the side of the hood as my example because one would expect that water would just shed like crazy on a 60 degree angle right?

Although I am a little disappointed at the beads and how they behave, I am overall happy at getting 7.4oz of product, an applicator and a microfiber towel for a mere $79.99, especially if it lives up to the claims of resiliency to high heat and high humidity and resistance to detergents. Only time will tell!!

So what about the optical qualities?? Well I am sure glad nobody asked the question because I don't have a real answer. I did not notice the "mile-deep shimmering gloss" although it did leave the paint looking very nice. I did not get a chance to see if it attracted dust and all, and did not get a chance to test its longevity, however, the owner of the car is one of my "regulars" so will be glad to report on this product if it absolutely blows me away (in terms of longevity).

If I was to be put against the wall on the product, I would say it is a definite keeper, and a great value simply based on the WOWO and fast pace "production work" application I can see for it.

I sure hope you enjoyed the review. For all the picture lovers, I hope you can appreciate this last glamor shot! Feel free to comment and I do welcome questions, rebuttals etc..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/BMW_beads_2.JPG

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Incredible review Claude!

Loving that last picture!!!!!!

zmcgovern45
10-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Very nice!

Not a big "wax user" myself, but I always enjoy a good review.

af90
10-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Nice review, Midnight Sun has always worked great for me.

SON1C
10-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Top quality review as always!
I felt this was a good wax overall myself, I achieved similar results, I noticed it had a lot of filling properties for a wax which suits production type work even more so, I was disappointed how it did not leave the paint feeling slick in my experience with it
Love the last picture as well!

Dr_Pain
10-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Incredible review Claude!

Loving that last picture!!!!!!

I think I have another glamor shot somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

I wonder why my embedded video did not show!?! Did I miss something. I only see the link

Very nice!

Not a big "wax user" myself, but I always enjoy a good review.

I believe this wax is marketed to rival sealants (with claims of 100+ days durability). Personally, I find something therapeutic about massaging the wax in the pain, and sealants don't usually do it for me.

Nice review, Midnight Sun has always worked great for me.

Top quality review as always!
I felt this was a good wax overall myself, I achieved similar results, I noticed it had a lot of filling properties for a wax which suits production type work even more so, I was disappointed how it did not leave the paint feeling slick in my experience with it
Love the last picture as well!

I knew I forgot to mention something. I too found that it did not have a slickness to the paint, which might explain the sheeting/shedding effect (or lack thereof).

01GreyStangGT
10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I had the same observation regarding the slickness. Looks great, but not as slick as I expected. Fuzion feels more slick.

cleanmycorolla
10-29-2013, 03:32 PM
BFMS is one of my favs, def not the slickest, but the look it produces on my car is phenominal and it lasts well for what it is. Fire over Ice is such a lethal combo, protection and looks!

Dont even get me started on how awesome poly spray is to boost it!

nice review, in my observations, BFMS sheets really well. Beads 8/10! Sheeting 9/10.

Again awesome review!

FUNX650
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks for this review Claude...
Your time and efforts, in doing so, are to be commended!

I believe this wax is marketed to rival sealants (with claims of 100+ days durability).

^^^IMO...May have bearing on its slickness/beading/sheeting.^^^

I was disappointed how it did not leave the paint feeling slick in my experience with it

I knew I forgot to mention something. I too found that it did not have a slickness to the paint, which might explain the sheeting/shedding effect (or lack thereof).

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

And more "slick" comments: :)

I had the same observation regarding the slickness. Looks great, but not as slick as I expected.

BFMS is one of my favs, def not the slickest, but the look it produces on my car is phenominal and it lasts well for what it is. Fire over Ice is such a lethal combo, protection and looks!

Again awesome review!
It is my understanding that, generally, there is an inverse relationship between lubricity and degree of cross-linking:
The more cross-linked a material is, the less likely it is to be "slippery".

it did not have a slickness to the paint, which might explain the sheeting/shedding effect (or lack thereof).

in my observations, BFMS sheets really well. Beads 8/10! Sheeting 9/10.
Hydrophobic vs. Hydrophilac?

I wonder:
Can a "paint-sealing" product exhibit both qualities.
Is one quality "better" than another.
{Sorry...that's a tad off topic...Some other time/place. :)}

Thanks again for your review!

:)

Bob

Bunky
10-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the review. I find Black Ice extremely durable.

cleanmycorolla
10-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for this review Claude...
Your time and efforts, in doing so, are to be commended!

It is my understanding that, generally, there is an inverse relationship between lubricity and degree of cross-linking:
The more cross-linked a material is, the less likely it is to be "slippery".

Hydrophobic vs. Hydrophilac?

I wonder:
Can a "paint-sealing" product exhibit both qualities.
Is one quality "better" than another.
{Sorry...that's a tad off topic...Some other time/place. :)}

Thanks again for your review!

:)

Bob

Bob, with a hybrid like this or Fuzion I think it can exhibit both, at least in my world. Hybrids being key, lol but who knows I'm no scientist I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Chicago Tommy
11-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Did you have any difficulty wiping the wax off? I just gave it a second chance on my personal car tonight, and it was still a pain to wipe it off clean. I ended up giving up 3/4 of the way through and going to Meg's Ultimate Wax, which went on easy and came off quickly.

Bunky
11-03-2013, 05:56 AM
Blackfire should be very easy to wipe off. You do not let it haze. Wipe off issues could be over application or letting it sit way too long or a combination.

Chicago Tommy
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
It should be, but it isn't. That is why I gave it another try. I put it on as thin as possible this time, and wiped immediately after covering a panel. I also changed towels constantly. Went through 12 16x16 towels on my CTS-V coupe. It's not a big car. I used 1 towel on the passenger side with the Meg's Ultimate Wax.

My prior attempt at this project yielded the same results. However, back then, it was quite warm and humid when I applied and I believed that to be the cause of the product not coming off clean. This time it was about 65 in my garage, with low humidity.

My last chance solution is going to be removing the wax from the tub, giving a pad a couple wipes and try applying by machine (PC).

Nick McKees37
11-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Did you have any difficulty wiping the wax off? I just gave it a second chance on my personal car tonight, and it was still a pain to wipe it off clean. I ended up giving up 3/4 of the way through and going to Meg's Ultimate Wax, which went on easy and came off quickly.

Did you clay the paint and use a polish first?