Little Help Needed

mpnx2

Reaction score
Ok... I bought a lot from the Autogeek store and finally got a chance today to put some of the stuff to work. So I foamed the car then handwashed the car using a two bucket system with grit guards, dried the car, next pulled it into the garage and clayed the entire car. The car as it sits now looks good. I bought a 6" GG and some Wolfgang Duo 3.0 and some Blackfire Crystal Seal. From looking at the paint it doesn't have swirls. It does have a few scratches and I am unsure of the next step. Can I use the total swirl remover on just the scratches and the go over the whole car using the finishing glaze using the GG? Then finally top it with the Crystal Seal? The car already looks great but without any polish or wax...whats next

See album here:

Infiniti Photos by mpnx77 | Photobucket

Thanks for the help...

What method are you using to find swirls? My Taurus looks great. Until you get it in DIRECT sunlight. It's a similar shade of silver to your car, the swirls are VERY difficult to see in that color, but they are there. (Sorry Taurus, I didn't know any better until AutoGeek!)

I'm a newbie, but my thought process is, if you just polish one area, would that area look 'different' than other parts of the car? I don't know the answer to that question, but my newbie thinking thinks that might be a concern. I guess, if I were in your shoes, I'd do a 'test spot' on the area where you see scratches, then get it in the sunlight and see if there was more correction going on then you thought (thus making the paint alot shinier in the test spot). If that's the case, then do the whole car!

You could also just use a fine pad and a 'jeweling' polish or glaze over the entire car to make the paint 'pop'. That's what I'm planning on doing to my car when it arrives from the factory.

Since you have the duo, start with a test spot using the polish first on a polishing pad. Maybe do it on an area where you say you have some scratches. If that takes care of those scratches, then do that on the whole car. If not, you can try the compound on a cutting pad...just on those scratches if you want. If that gets the scratched areas where you want them, then spot compound those areas where you have scratches and then go back to the polish and do the entire car.

Because you are new I would test the products and techniques on a darker paint. You are going to be able to see too much on that silver until it's in just the right light at just the right angle. The scratches I saw in the pics look way too deep to be removed with a swirl remover, a compound and wool for that matter. If you can catch a finger nail on a scratch then polishing will not remove it.
If you can't, or refuse to test on darker paint then all I would do if I were you is use the finishing glaze (polish) and a polishing pad. You can always do a side by side on the hood to compare the difference between TSR and FG. Either way practice on big flat areas and stay away from edges, especially on plastic panels like the bumpers.
How old is the car and do you know the full history on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

I have owned the car since new. It is a 2005. I was able to get the scratches to lighten was the swirl remover. I am working on the glaze right now. I do have a black car a 2013 CTS V but decided to start on the infiniti. I will post some final pics when I am all done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I looked at the pics can you get your finger nail in them?

No...they are almost not noticeable now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Glad the scratches weren't as bad as the pics made them look.
I wouldn't recommend practicing on the cts-v anyway. I was thinking a friends car the is kinda neglected. As long as you're seeing results and are happy. What pads are you using/have?

I wud have just polished that bad boy. Please share your pad combo.

Glad the scratches weren't as bad as the pics made them look.
I wouldn't recommend practicing on the cts-v anyway. I was thinking a friends car the is kinda neglected. As long as you're seeing results and are happy. What pads are you using/have?

:iagree:with :whs: Oh yeah!

Some of those RIDS looked nasty.

I'd also agree with the statement that just finding the swirls in that color is really hard. A decent LED flashlight (over 100 lumens), or the swirl finder, then say an LED work light like the 30 watt monster, and of course the gold standard of halogens would go a long way to that end.

OTOH, if you had my red 06, you'd know just how easy swirls are to find. Heck.... finding them is nothing, KEEPING THEM OFF THE CAR is darned near impossible! :eek::buffing::eek:

Bet working on the Caddy wouldn't be that hard. I love me some CTS-V myself! :dblthumb2: Was telling the wife lately that in a couple of years I'd like to pick up a nice clean, low mileage one for us. Either that or something like an 08-ish SL55. Although I'd never like ever drop the top on one. I'm more of a coupe' type guy. :laughing:
With 1 kid gone I don't have to worry about paying her insurance, and the other is about to have to learn to pay HIS for a freaking change. :rolleyes:

I am used an Orange Foam Light Cutting Pad with the Swirl Remover followed by a White Foam Polishing Pad.
See here Learn how to use the Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer with CCS Smart Pads by Lake Country. Polish swirl remover car wax polisher wax buffing pad

What is used to clean the pads just soap and water?

Might hit it with some APC+ and of course good old Dawn. ;) I tend to use XMT pad cleaner liberally and massage it in. Then I use scalding hot water sprayed on them in the mud sink (with a short piece of garden hose). Pull them up on the side and use a firm plastic cup as a roller then put them on the DA for a quick spin and grab them a few times with a clean terry towel like when you "clean on the fly". Sit them foam side down on the bottom of a small plastic cup or milk jug lid overnight to dry after that.

Thought this was cool:

Where the scratch used to be:

Side Shot:

Here is a pic of it finished..

Looks nice!! Now the next time you're out and about after dark, pull into a shopping center parking lot and park under the parking lot lights. If there are any visible swirls or scratches you'll see them there under those lights.

Actually he needs to clean/polish those headlights!!

I have a blk 6mt..with a spoiler;)

Actually he needs to clean/polish those headlights!!

I have a blk 6mt..with a spoiler;)

Headlights are next. Ours has all the sport options without the spoiler...:xyxthumbs:

Back