Marks left by factory protection wrap

billy miles

Reaction score
Chevy has recently started wrapping their new 2014 trucks before shipping. They cover the hood roof and a few other small areas with a thin plastic wrap. The problem my coworkers and I are having is the marks in the paint that they leave, you can faintly see them in the pictures but they are much worse in person. Gm (general motors) recommend spraying them down with water before removing them to prevent this but it seems to make no difference. Has anyone else had this problem before? These are new vehicles and they should look like it but the marks are pretty stubborn and I don't have the time to cut and buff every new car that comes in.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U

Ironic that that's supposed to protect the vehicles. I sell packaging for a living(23 years), that's called cohesive wrap, it's not supposed to do that. It's supposed to release cleanly and leave no residue. It's hard to say from what I can see if that's actually from the film. Here's why I say that, doesn't look like the film has been damaged or compromised on the outer side. I don't see how water would help at all based upon my knowledge of that product. The cohesive bond is on the side making contact with the vehicles paint and water won't penetrate it and it's not a water soluable product.

I've tried using laquer thinner and a couple kinds of adhesive remover and its still there. its almost as if it leaves wrinkles or stretch marks in the clear coat

Sent from my HTC VLE_U

Sorry I may have been unclear with the water. Its not bieng used to release the adhesive.. more of just to rinse it and cool the wrap down.. I'm not sure how its supposed to work having see no difference when using it

Sent from my HTC VLE_U

It's supposed to just release and not leave any residue or marks. My advice is to get the GM regional guy out there. It shouldn't be creating extra work or additionals costs for a delaership imo.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Now, getting a clean peel has a lot to do with temp. If it is hot, it usually rips and leaves adhesive behind. Cold temps seem to release the adhesive and they peel off with ease. Unless it is cold, you need to peel very slowly and at an angle down towards the paint.

Now, when I unwrap cars at work (VW, Audi, Porsche), I am careful not to cause any damage when peeling the stuff off or taking off the full wraps (like how the C7 Corvette is wrapped). Unfortunately, I believe the paint just don't come perfect from the factory every time.

Here are swirls that were under the wrap:

Now this black car was actually perfect:

Now here is one that had a full wrap and someone who wasn't being careful unwrapped.

The marks you are referring to are adhesive residue marks, correct? Body solvent will remove this instantly.

Meguiar’s Body Solvent, 1 Gallon, removes tar, wax, and stubborn grime from exterior car surfaces. Concentrated cleaner safe on exterior surfaces.

Being intimately familiar with cohesive products, the whole idea of these is they are not supposed to transfer adhesive to the product, that's why they are referred to as a "co" hesive product. They also have uv inhibitors built in to them so as not to degrade in sunlight. The durability varies from product to product. I know one thing, if I was selling a customer this and that was happpening they'd have me out there along with the manufacturer's rep pdq. The product is also not supposed to deface what it's adhering to. 3M first developed this product then a bunch of lower cost manufactrers starting flooding the market and cutting prices. Guess the old adage applies here, you get what you pay for.

Back