2013 Golf R - full correction and Opti-Coat Pro

gofast908z

Reaction score
Spent a couple days bringing this 900 mile "new" Golf R up to spec. It was pretty rough from the dealership's handling of the car. Lesson: Don't let the dealer wash your car or prep it before you pick it up. I brought Ryan in again to help me knock this one out as my schedule has been pretty packed. After the paint was corrected, Opti-Coat Pro was applied for the ultimate protection, guaranteed to last years, not months.

Products used:

Foamed with Dawn/CG Citrus Wash
Washed with Dawn/CG Citrus Wash
Sonax FE on wheels with Wheel Woolies and Swissvax Wheel Brush
Clayed with Meguiars Final Inspection and Blackfire Poly Clay II
Tires cleaned with Stoner's Tarminator
Meguiars 101, D300, Menzerna 203
IPA wipedown
Opti-Coat Pro

Upon client drop off

GolfROCPRO2.jpg

Typical of most German cars....HEAVY brake dust. Car only has 900 miles and inner wheel barrels are basically black.

GolfROCPRO5.jpg

GolfROCPRO6.jpg

Very stubborn water spot etching on the grill. Took a few hours to remove fully.

GolfROCPRO4.jpg

GolfROCPRO3.jpg

Not just water drips...Meguiars 101 was required to compound these marks off. Seen similar marks on numerous German cars lately.

GolfROCPRO7.jpg

Documented pre-existing damage courtesy of the dealership's detailer/porter.

GolfROCPRO8.jpg

GolfROCPRO10.jpg

GolfROCPRO9.jpg

GolfROCPRO12.jpg

The very soft B-pillars had been scrubbed with what looked like a brillo pad....these would take a while to correct. Heavy water spot etching on the glass as well.

GolfROCPRO11.jpg

Swirled up tail lights....

GolfROCPRO18.jpg

After compounding, swirls gone. Final polishing will restore the gloss and will be carried out in the next step.

GolfROCPRO19.jpg

GolfROCPRO13.jpg

GolfROCPRO15.jpg

GolfROCPRO17.jpg

GolfROCPRO20.jpg

After final polishing

GolfROCPRO21.jpg

Time for the B-pillars...

GolfROCPRO23.jpg

GolfROCPRO22.jpg

GolfROCPRO24.jpg

Passenger's side

GolfROCPRO26.jpg

GolfROCPRO27.jpg

GolfROCPRO25.jpg

GolfROCPRO30.jpg

GolfROCPRO29.jpg

Finished pics

GolfROCPRO31.jpg

GolfROCPRO32.jpg

GolfROCPRO33.jpg

GolfROCPRO34.jpg

GolfROCPRO36.jpg

GolfROCPRO35.jpg

GolfROCPRO39.jpg

Water spot etching fully removed

GolfROCPRO38.jpg

GolfROCPRO41.jpg

GolfROCPRO42.jpg

GolfROCPRO44.jpg

GolfROCPRO45.jpg

GolfROCPRO46.jpg

GolfROCPRO50.jpg

GolfROCPRO43.jpg

GolfROCPRO54.jpg

GolfROCPRO51.jpg

GolfROCPRO49.jpg

GolfROCPRO55.jpg

GolfROCPRO53.jpg

GolfROCPRO56.jpg

GolfROCPRO57.jpg

No interior work was done, but I snapped a few pics anyway as the interior is pretty nice. VW did a good job with it.

GolfROCPRO59.jpg

GolfROCPRO58.jpg

Windows were freshly tinted and the shop left this behind....A nice touch, simple and effective.

GolfROCPRO60.jpg

Owner picked the car up late at night so I could not get sun pics. So the owner took a few and sent me some the next day.

GolfROCPRO64.jpg

GolfROCPRO61.jpg

GolfROCPRO62.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Great work car looks great :) It still always amazes me how dealers trash cars.

Great job! I had a 2013 GTI same color and those pillars were the only part of the car with swirls I tried a bunch of stuff on em and nothing seemed to work so Im curious what you used on them specifically?

What a nightmare before the correction, can't imagine if that was autogeek's followers car. One whole night can't sleep.

Very nice job!! I'm a sicker for a vw I can't stand what the dealership does to cars, this why a dealership is going to hate me when I buy a car from them they better be knocking he price way down if they were to ever do a terrible job on the car like this

Very nice clean up

Sent from space through a satellite

Great attention to detail and great correction. Water spots can be so frustrating and time consuming, hope your client appreciates how much it took to get his car looking that nice

Looks like a new car - now! Great job!

Great job! I had a 2013 GTI same color and those pillars were the only part of the car with swirls I tried a bunch of stuff on em and nothing seemed to work so Im curious what you used on them specifically?

In Jeff's case it is experience. And lots of it. Even if the combo is known, doesn't mean someone can just do it. You can scrape off the clear very fast if you don't know what you are doing. jm2c

great job. I have an 04 audi, I clean rims,and after a week, they are black. If worse comes to worse, I use meguiars hot rims all wheel cleaner and then iron x em. Helps so much

In Jeff's case it is experience. And lots of it. Even if the combo is known, doesn't mean someone can just do it. You can scrape off the clear very fast if you don't know what you are doing. jm2c

Sure, but knowing the combo takes away some of the variables and would obviously give someone a jumping off point that is proven to work already.

Sure, but knowing the combo takes away some of the variables and would obviously give someone a jumping off point that is proven to work already.

Partially true, as not every brand responds equally to the same product.

101 and HD Polish is what works for me without filling. you can try that. Menzerna 85rd is another one, although I don't use it due to seeing how well it fills. Sonax Perfect finish is another one that finishes well, but it hides. Pick one.

Back