Need some help w/ Opti-coat on wheels

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I'm looking to coat a used set of wheels with Opti-coat. This is what I settled with and a member here gave me a killer deal on some 2.0. I was going to use opti-seal but the coat seems to be better on wheels and in general.

What I'm wondering is what should the process be?

1. Wash with APC
2. Clay
3. Polish until I'm happy
4. 2-3 IPA wipe downs
5. Opti-coat

Sound about right? I have to get tires mounted and I'm wondering if I should do all of this afterwards or doing it prior is okay as well?

Lastly, does the Opti-coat shine well? I'm going to be applying it on clear coated aluminum wheels. I know you can top opti-seal with carnauba and alter the shine a bit to wet look, I'm kinda hoping for the same using the coat..

And how hard is it to apply on a set of wheels off of the car? I tend to read posts that that the Opti-coat is a pain to apply and can end up not looking right... true?

IME it works very well on all clearcoated wheels. IME it doesn't play well on chrome. You will be very pleased with the results but I would not top them with anything but ReLoad or Permanon as others will ruin the repellency.

Hmm so maybe I'd be better off with something like Opti-seal and a wax if I want pretty?

IME it works very well on all clearcoated wheels. IME it doesn't play well on chrome. You will be very pleased with the results but I would not top them with anything but ReLoad or Permanon as others will ruin the repellency.
i have opti guard on my chrome bumpers and its blinding....not sure if there is a clear coat on the bumpers, but man the shine is out of this world.

opti guard is the pro version of opticoat....minor differences from opticoat, but essentially should provide the same finished result in terms of shine.

Back