PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to use an APC on Opti Coated paint?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rez90
11-20-2013, 01:24 PM
i ask because i had some weird stains on the back of my white car recently...spray detailer didn't do anything. I didn't want to use any type of scrtatch remover because i dont' want to affect my opti coat with anything abrasive so i hit it with a tiny bit of Megs APC+ and the stain wiped right off....

I'd assume this is pretty safe given the car has opti coat 2.0 on it....

thoughts?

Rez90
11-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Bump...

VP Mark
11-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Yep. There is nothing short of a paint levelers at body shops that will remove OC chemically. Naturally when using any APC!, degreaser, bug remover ect. Make sure to rinse it completely.

Your OC is not removable by APC or degreaser, just to be clear.

I'm a pro installer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Pureshine
11-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Yep. There is nothing short of a paint levelers at body shops that will remove OC chemically. Naturally when using any APC!, degreaser, bug remover ect. Make sure to rinse it completely.

Your OC is not removable by APC or degreaser, just to be clear.

I'm a pro installer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

:iagree:

ZeroSP
11-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Opti Coat can only be removed via sanding and heavy polishing/compounding. :) So no worry

Andr3wilson
11-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Coatings are quite chemical resistant (broad spectrum). Really dirty car, a dilute APC mix will be a great presoak.

Opti Coat can only be removed via sanding and heavy polishing/compounding. :) So no worry

It's not that durable. As pointed out above, most bodyshop solvent based cleaners remove them

swanicyouth
11-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Only use an APC that is safe for paint on paint - regardless if it has OC on it or not. To think you can use any strong APC to wash your car because it has OC is naive. One that is safe that I use is Sonus All in 1.

Andr3wilson
11-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Only use an APC that is safe for paint on paint - regardless if it has OC on it or not. To think you can use any strong APC to wash your car because it has OC is naive. One that is safe that I use is Sonus All in 1.

Which ones aren't?

tdekany
11-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Coatings are quite chemical resistant (broad spectrum). Really dirty car, a dilute APC mix will be a great presoak.

It's not that durable. As pointed out above, most bodyshop solvent based cleaners remove them

After just 72 hours, OC can take solvent based cleaners. Imagine what happens after 30 days, once fully cured. Please don't confuse OPTI COAT, which is a ceramic clear coat with Other "coatings".

You need machine polishing to remove OC.

PiPUK
11-21-2013, 04:27 AM
After just 72 hours, OC can take solvent based cleaners. Imagine what happens after 30 days, once fully cured. Please don't confuse OPTI COAT, which is a ceramic clear coat with Other "coatings".

Quite right. A coating which fits the high end description should have no real problem. A well put together polymer sealant should even survive many solvent based cleaners. This sort of translates across from my generic LSP discussions - if your coating is stripped by a misc. solvent cleaner, you need a better coating!

Note that there will be exceptions but if a solvent removes OC, chances are it will remove the paint as well.

ZeroSP
11-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Quite right. A coating which fits the high end description should have no real problem. A well put together polymer sealant should even survive many solvent based cleaners. This sort of translates across from my generic LSP discussions - if your coating is stripped by a misc. solvent cleaner, you need a better coating!

Note that there will be exceptions but if a solvent removes OC, chances are it will remove the paint as well.

:props:

swanicyouth
11-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Which ones aren't?

Dunno. You'd have to read a lot of bottles to find out. I know out of the ones I have, Grime Reaper Says not to use on paint.

Andr3wilson
11-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Opti Coat is actually Clear? Man... I did not know clear coat could be wiped on and buffed flat. I also wasn't talking about generic solvent cleaners.

As far as the APC, most are very similar in using a sodium hydroxide base. I have not seen one APC that will harm or cause damage to the paint.

swanicyouth
11-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Opti Coat is actually Clear? Man... I did not know clear coat could be wiped on and buffed flat. I also wasn't talking about generic solvent cleaners.

As far as the APC, most are very similar in using a sodium hydroxide base. I have not seen one APC that will harm or cause damage to the paint.

I'm just going by what the manufacturer says on the bottle in the directions, which I think is a safe way to play it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/ape5ybup.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/hu5a4yne.jpg

You could likely use Grime Reaper on 20 cars with no issue. Maybe the 21st car it could cause an issue. Other paint safe APCs:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/e5adyzyt.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/21/ara6aju2.jpg

Andr3wilson
11-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm looking at it from a chemistry aspect. APC is based from sodium hydroxide, butyl and a few additives. Different brands are using different amounts and concentrations. These chemicals will not damage paint. Grime Reaper doesn't damage paint. I have used it before (even consider using it on tires and wheel wells. Does the over spray on paint damage anything?). I'm guessing the "warning" is to stop people from spraying it and wiping it, then wondering why it streaks. That or it's more CG marketing.