PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent swirl marks

Pages : [1] 2

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 11:09 AM
I am wondering how to prevent swirl marks I use grit guards straight motions but I feel like I am missing something

kochdalton87
11-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Rinsing your wash media very thoroughly during a wash and using light pressure will definitely help in your situation. If you have a pressure wash (and a foam gun) you can help loosen the majority of the dirt particles off the vehicle before touching it.

RFulmer
11-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Touch your car as little as possible.

You start putting swirls in as soon as you touch the car after you polish it. This means as soon as you start putting on protectant you are going to ad some marks somewhere.

Every time you wash, dry, wax, etc you add marks.

The trick is to add as few as possible by proper washing, drying (I blow mind dry) and protecting. That's what this site is for, watch AGO's videos and learn the proper way to do things and you'll put off polishing longer, but eventually you have to do it all over again.

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 11:53 AM
After I blow dry it and there is some water left and you dry it what is the patting method in drying

RFulmer
11-29-2013, 12:11 PM
I use a soft microfiber and some sort of detail spray after I blow it dry. Mist then wipe.

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Do you use the tap method

Pureshine
11-29-2013, 01:55 PM
After I use my Master Blaster I blot dry anything left.

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 02:39 PM
After I use my Master Blaster I blot dry anything left.

Do you ever after do correction on your cars again? And why are strait
Lines easier to get out then swirls?

tdekany
11-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Do you ever after do correction on your cars again? And why are strait
Lines easier to get out then swirls?

it would be easier to help you, if you provided more info of your process.

PS: in my limited experience, straight lines are usually RIDS, so they are in fact harder to remove.:dblthumb2:

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 02:48 PM
My process is I rinse the car down.

Wash with gold class is there better soap?

Use the two bucket method with grit guards at the bottom!

Wash in strait motions or lines.

Rinse of one more time.

Dry car of with MF towel going to start typing the patting method and blow drying I am going to order the cobra towel today.

rdf
11-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Brian,
I don't think straight lines are necessarily any easier to remove from the finish than circular marks are. IME, the big thing to consider is reflectivity.

You see swirls or scratches mostly because the sun (or other light source) hits the painted surface and illuminates the scratch/swirl mark. A straight line will "catch the light" from one angle. If you have a circular mark in the finish (like from moving your wash media, microfiber towel, or applicator in a circular motion vs a straight line) that circular mark can catch the light from just about any angle, hence the swirls would seem to be more visible or noticeable.

A round light source, like the sun or many flashlights, will make most swirls appear to be circular. To me, anyway.

The person who figures out how to wash a car really clean, without touching it at all, and without degrading or removing the LSP, will be one rich rascal.

ETA: We were typing at the same time. I see you mention washing in straight lines. I'll leave this here anyway as food for thought.

YankeeFan
11-29-2013, 02:57 PM
I tend to add a cap or so of ONR to both buckets to add some lubrication. I also tend to empty and refill the rinse bucket at least once, during winter months couple more times.

I own a Honda, so it's a battle trying to minimize swirls after Spring polish.

Howard

tdekany
11-29-2013, 03:34 PM
What color and make model is it?? What type of wash mitt? Each panel should be rinsed right away, unless I misunderstanding you.

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Yes I do a Viking wash MIT it washes off the dirt easy and yes I do rinse off each panel

BrianMcLeod
11-29-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh 2006 dodge

Lexus and honda not mine cars I wash