PDA

View Full Version : This Is The Damage I Am Facing.

speedgrid
12-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey Guys. I thought I would make a thread on my current issues I facing with my car and any ideas or tips I could use for resolving the issues at hand

http://i42.tinypic.com/295vax3.jpg
This damage was caused during Hurricane Sandy. I shingle got flung onto the front hood of my car and scratched it up good. There was a really deep scratch that I did a poor job on touching up as you can see. Also there are many others surrounding it but I did not touch. I was thinking of having a body or paint shop sand down that area and repaint it. How much should that job cost me? (October 2012)

http://i41.tinypic.com/33dvxib.jpg
This dent on the quarter panel came with the car and have not gotten time to fix yet. (Original Damage)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2cfz1xu.jpg
This dent on my front passenger door was on a windy day as I pulled out of my driveway. As I was pulling out I heard a thump on my passenger side. Turns out my driveway gate hate slammed against my car and the lever holding it on the concrete was not enough. That lever caused the dent upon impact. I now use a brick to hold the gate in place to prevent this from happening again. (April 2013)

http://i45.tinypic.com/x29ngw.jpg
This last bit of damage is when it from backing out of my cousins awkward driveway and hit his mail box that had a protruding nail. I also am not the only victim of this as my cousin and others had made the same mistake. The mailbox has since be removed but the damage had already been done. I tried using some Ultimate Compound by hand along with wax. Although the scratch has been much diluted and cannot be seen when the sun does not shine in its direction or from a distance, it is clearly visible during a sunny day or up close. The image you see is enhanced so the scratch is more visible as the camera could not pick it up due to my multiple tries of removing the scratch. Could I use a DA with some Ultimate Compound as it has much more power than doing it by hand or would I need to have it repainted? (August 2012)

Tips and ideas on body shop/painless dent removal/paint shop pricing would be much appreciated guys. I wish I could have fixed the dents sooner but I have been short on cash lately. Also I had spend some money fixing up the cars mechanical in the past. But these things have really been annoying me lately and I want it fixed sooner than later. It will probably be after the Holidays as I will have more cash on me then. Also as you can see I am really bad at touching up paint, so I don't plan on using it again.

Thanks guys

GenesisCoupe
12-03-2013, 04:51 PM
The scratch by the door handle is definitely doable but you would need a good pad and compound, followed by a polish. I don't believe that the paint is very thick on a door handle so you may want to tape it up.

Seems like you have nothing but body issues with the car, just sell it!! Jk

Harry Da Hamster
12-04-2013, 03:58 AM
Find a good PDR guy to take care of the dents. Once the dents are gone, it'll make the missing paint much less noticeable. Or look up some of the other threads regarding paint touch up

wrx495
12-04-2013, 05:22 AM
You can touch that up yourself if your pretty confident on a small area respray yourself which would involve some sandpaper

sweatthedetails
12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Yep I would think you could get both those little dings taken care of for under $100.

speedgrid
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
What do you guys think I can do about this

Can I have just that area sanded down and repainted?

Also how much do you think a job like that will cost?

Just02896
12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
What do you guys think I can do about this

Can I have just that area sanded down and repainted?

Also how much do you think a job like that will cost?

To fix the hood, my guess would be $200-$250 for a respray.

cardaddy
12-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Hurricane Sandy huh? Lot's of debris went flying in that one for sure. ;) I've seen bigger claims, with LOT more damage than that get paid by one's insurance.

Lot's of little things going on there, some pretty easy, some that PDR may could fix, others that are going to need a decent respray. Might be worth it to consider a claim and see what is covered and what isn't?

speedgrid
12-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Hurricane Sandy huh? Lot's of debris went flying in that one for sure. ;) I've seen bigger claims, with LOT more damage than that get paid by one's insurance.

Lot's of little things going on there, some pretty easy, some that PDR may could fix, others that are going to need a decent respray. Might be worth it to consider a claim and see what is covered and what isn't?

The deductible would cost more than having my dents and hood painted combined :(

speedgrid
12-20-2013, 02:44 AM
To fix the hood, my guess would be $200-$250 for a respray.

Is that for the whole hood? Because I just want that portion of my hood sanded down and repainted.

masuofani
01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Seems like other than polishing it, theres no other choice.

speedgrid
05-23-2014, 07:48 PM
I still have these defects and its driving me nuts lol. I was quoted over $300 for those two dents and poor touch up job on the hood to be sanded down. I have to take care of other things for my car first such as the suspension before I can pay that much for the dents and scratches on the hood to be corrected :(

beamerstrumpet
05-23-2014, 08:43 PM
then its up to you, you can sand down the dents and fill and smooth out with bondo, tape off area, and repaint with a color matched piss can and clear coat with piss can, then buff it out.

option 2. just touch up scrapes with glazing putty, spray color matched can, clear coat can, and buff.

none of its quick, but will hide the problem. if your car needs bigger maint done,, then i suggest option 1 or 2. duplicolor can give you factory matched paint.

Hazcat
05-24-2014, 10:53 PM
You'll be amazed at how good you can get duplicolor to look. Give it a try. It will be good practice. There are some threads with how to on here. I did an area on my truck just to keep it from rusting. It came out so nice I was blown away. I primed it then sprayed duplicolor. A week later or so I clayed the area and everything that was overspray on good paint came off and the area that was bare metal before stayed and it looked great. Much better than I ever dreamed it would be. I wish I would have prepped the scratched metal better now because it would a perfect match.

JamRWS6
08-02-2014, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't advise that technique for any clear coat finish you want to look right.