PDA

View Full Version : indoor wash on mat or outside wash with storm drain covers??

Red Man
12-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I have been doing mobile work but it sucks working outside if its too hot or too cold(can rarely be just right) besides seeing different things/ environments from job to job. Unpacking, repacking, gas for van, gas for equipment, hoping you don't forget anything (at home or jobsite), equipment failure or many other problems that come with being mobile adds. I'm about to open up a fixed location shop and was considering a Chemical Guys style wash mat and wash vehicles inside. (other option is washing outside with storm drain cover which only costs a few dollars less than wash mat but afraid city will give me problems with water being near storm drain even with the cover). So my million dollar question is has anybody tried to wash vehicles inside on wash mat before detailing?? Will 10 x 20 feet be large enough to wash a Hummer, Excursion, Extended Van etc. I just measured my company van and its exactly 20 feet long so all water couldn't possibly stay on mat. I want to just leave mat in on place and not move it too much. Does anybody know who makes the best mat?? One that is sturdy and no problems with leaking??

Any advice from people who has used car wash mats would be appreciated?

Btw,I have a transfer pump to remove water from mat & I'm financing business out of my pocket so I can't afford to waste money. Any other money saving ideas are welcome also.Feed back pleaseFeed back please

CowboyTruckn
12-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Maybe I'm not following you but why can't you just wash outside?

I've never used a mat, just curious inquiry.

Red Man
12-09-2013, 12:18 PM

The city is real strict about water runoff. I Don't want to be denied from doing business so I don't want any problems because they will fine me or shut me down.

There is a storm drain outside my shop, I could cover it but I'm sure they will still give me a problem with the water being that close to storm drain ( they probably give me problem about what if storm drain cover leaks)

So my question remains, Does any body wash indoors on wash mat?? I need some advice from veteran shop owners about how to control water runoff..

Please give me insight on washing indoors on mat or another water reclamation ideas.Feed back pleaseFeed back pleaseFeed back pleaseFeed back please

Dr_Pain
12-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I've seen but never used the wash mat. The one I saw was the Chemical Guy's one (and reclamation of the water with a shop vac. I think they may have a Youtube on that. Let me see!

Here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQKQTDPe3s]Water Containment Mat & Water Reclamation System Version 3.0 - Chemical Guys - YouTube[/video]

Red Man
12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Yes. I know about the mat. Wanted to hear from shop owners that might have strict city officials (like myself) that are using car wash mats indoors.

CCC4me
12-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Unfortunately, I can't help with the mat as I have no direct experience. My methods have always been storm drain covers as well as fire hose filled with sand to divert runoff into vegetation. Worked very well while washing flatwork with my 7 GPM machine, should suffice on auto work as well.

CCC4me
12-09-2013, 04:00 PM

EPA and the Clean Water Act: "Nothing but rain down the drain".

215Detailing
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Just a thought
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DCzy-Rngo]Make your own Car wash mat. - YouTube[/video]

215Detailing
01-31-2016, 10:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ1HjKliot8

RUNOFF BY SNOW AND ICE REMOVAL PRODUCTS SEEMS MORE DAMAGING THAN CAR (WASH) SHAMPOO

AGOatemywallet
01-31-2016, 12:55 PM
All the videos I have seen of people washing cars in their garage with running water, seem like the garage gets soaked

Now you are working in 100% humidity and a slippery floor while you polish

Maybe retractable plastic curtains, strung on a wire would prevent the garage walls from getting wet

GSKR
01-31-2016, 02:40 PM
Maybe a wash berm would help and be cheaper.

GSKR
01-31-2016, 02:47 PM
Pm and I can give you the name of a company that can help you.