PDA

View Full Version : Glass coatings and ice on windshields

Pages : [1] 2

Skoob
12-15-2013, 08:04 AM
I was wondering about how glass coatings hold up when windshields have to scrapped for ice daily. Glass coatings are not inexpensive and if it helps get ice off faster it would be nice to get. Thanks for some insight.

skubasteve!
12-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Great question, I await responses. I wonder if it will even help prevent the ice from forming.

PiPUK
12-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Many will facilitate easier removal of ice. Certainly, once you start getting melting, the water at the interface will not stick and then the surrounding ice will start moving. It isn't something I have really had opportunity to test but reports I have read indicate that theory and reality do agree in this case.

UglyBetty
12-15-2013, 08:19 AM
I can't answer how they hold up to scraping. However, I put the new pinnacle black label coating on my windshield about a month ago. I had a moderate frost on it in the morning, the windshield wipers removed the frost without scraping or using the defroster.

VP Mark
12-15-2013, 08:42 AM
I've got opti glass pro on mine and they clean and scrape like a breeze. Haven't noticed any harm to the coating thus far.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Detailed Josh
12-15-2013, 12:05 PM
I've got opti glass pro on mine and they clean and scrape like a breeze. Haven't noticed any harm to the coating thus far.

How long have you had it on?

I was thinking of going with Opti-Glass myself. Maybe even doing a 50/50 comparison to see how it holds up and visibly...hmm

PA DETAILER
12-15-2013, 12:29 PM
i have the DP glass coating on mine. i have noticed a little less ice issues. been on for a few months now. still doing its job.....

StangFan25
12-15-2013, 12:33 PM
DP glass coating on mine. After the first snow and ice storm, there was ice built up on my windshield, sprayed some Einszett De-Icer and it melted instantly. I've also had no more ice stay on the windshield. I think that's mainly because of the Einszett spray.

wytstang
12-15-2013, 12:40 PM
They should hold up just fine, I've used aquapel in the winter just to make it easier/faster to scrape. I would imagine a glass coating should take it with no problems at all.

van185
12-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I have found that the ice will still form but it's easier to remove. I use Raingear and it seems to work well for about a couple months.

Klasse Act
12-15-2013, 03:15 PM
I just use whatever LSP I'm using on the glass, works very well!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

BeachZone
12-15-2013, 04:00 PM
I have flyby 30 on mine currently, I haven't scraped any ice off yet (gives me goosebumps, so I try to avoid at all costs), but alli do is warm up the car and one it starts melting I use the wipers and it comes right off without any issues. Easy Easy easy

-Beach

Skoob
12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Good info keep it coming. 😄

VP Mark
12-15-2013, 06:51 PM

About 8 months now.

Alby
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I used the Detailers Glass Coating back in October, applied two coats.
1. It works well in the rain
2. Ice seems to be easier to remove and maybe it's just me but it seems to defrost faster.
It seems to me that coating the glass makes it harder for the ice to bond to the glass.