headlight challenge #2 not as good :(

Father87

Reaction score
Well, my 2nd time trying headlights. First time was awesome, this time not so much.

It still has like a slight gray/blue tint over them... I wasn't pleased. The left side is also worse than the right. These were in much worse condition than the other pair I did though. I'm assuming I should have used the low grit for longer, 500 and 800. I'm using those dry as it says, should I try wet sanding with the low grits? Also, should each lens get it's own sanding disc? or can they be shared? or is that depending on how their condition is to begin with?

Anyway here it is, I only coated with Optimum Wax for now, in case I would like to try again in future.

Is the blue from the bulbs? They look fantastic to me.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Look acceptable from the pics. I wet sand with all the papers I use. Bought wet paper purposely.

Either you have haze from insufficient sanding between steps, or there is a film on the inside, which is fairly common with that car. If you think it's from your sanding process, go back with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000, all wet. Doesn't have to be exactly that, but something similar... take small steps in grit with fresh sandpaper just to make sure that's not the issue. After polishing, if it's still hazy then you know it's inside. You don't even have to do the whole lens... you could do a test in one spot following all the steps, in like 5 minutes. Those camrys clean up easy... shouldn't ever need 500 btw. Wet sand really good with 1500-3000 and polish probably would have done it.

I have the same exact problem on our Lexus. Driver side came out great, but passenger side still kind of foggy. I went over the steps more than once to get the results but never got it.

Driver side

Opti-CoatLeftLens20130714.jpg

Passenger side
Opti-CoatRightLens20130714.jpg

Either I have to get a new set or just live with it and decided to just live with it.

You're being too hard on yourself from the look of the pictures. I've learned with headlights that they usually wont turn out like new, or better than new, (like oxidized or scratched paint will).

I think the best guess may be hazing that you see but we aren't. I would sand with 1500-3000 for a while longer, and then repolish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Did you try wet sanding them 640?

Yup, my process was:
Wetsand - 1000 > 1500 > 2000 > 2500 > 3000
Compound - M105 with Orange LC Cutting Pad
Polish - M205 with White LC Polishing Pad

I did them on both headlights and passenger never came out perfect or the way I wanted it.

Hmmm, ok. How many minutes per lens for sanding? Also, each lens should get its own brand new sand disc?

It's different for each car and each person. But on the camry, it should only take a minute or so to completely cover the lens by hand. If using 3" discs, go with a fresh disc for each lens. Lots of water, lots of elbow grease. Consistent pressure is required, and you need to know if/when the paper is dull and not effective. Alternate the basic sanding direction with each step... watching that you are completely removing the marks from the prior step. That's how you know when to move to the next step... not watching the clock. My guess is that you did fine, but the passenger side has a film on the inside.

Ok thanks guys. I'll try again in future. Maybe it is the inside :/

Oh and also what speed do you guys use on your orbitals? I've been doing only 1 and 2 for the sanding, and just a light pressure and 4 and 5 with the polishes and medium pressure.

I use a 5" orbital so it's a different animal. I would recommend hand sanding, especially for 1000+ grit steps. And rotary for all polish/compound steps. I can't imagine a 3" orbital sander doing a good job polishing plastic. 10x faster and more effective to use a cordless drill.

Back