First time using ONR - few quick ?

sbkim

Reaction score
Greetings,

Just tried out ONR for the first time. Granted the car wasn't that dirty, I was pretty impressed with the final results. Please excuse me if many of these questions were answered previously...

1. ONR solution - followed the instruction as posted by another forum member - Mike C - what a great how to section! - and noticed that it looked just like...well, regular water. I presume this is ok and foaming is not needed?

2. How well do you have to dry a section? Is it sufficient to blot dry to get rid of big water dropplets or do I ensure it's squeaky clean dry?

3. Is it ok to apply spray wax products after washing with ONR? OR do I need to first treat it with some detailing products - such as Z6 or other QD?

4. I didn't want to scrub any dirt/bugs off using ONR but could I treat it as if it were soap water when washing?

5. Also, how much water should be dripping when washing? Some say to squeeze out excess water... but doesn't that make it more prone to swirl marks?

6. Can you wash in direct sunlight?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. ONR solution - followed the instruction as posted by another forum member - Mike C - what a great how to section! - and noticed that it looked just like...well, regular water. I presume this is ok and foaming is not needed?
Correct no foaming will take place or is needed

2. How well do you have to dry a section? Is it sufficient to blot dry to get rid of big water dropplets or do I ensure it's squeaky clean dry?
I make a pass with a mf getting the bulk up, a second towel is used to finish is off. I like there to be a slight amount of moisture to be left after the first towel is used. Often time on some panels the second towel is not used and that is ok. I just avoid hitting a dry panel with a dry towel.

3. Is it ok to apply spray wax products after washing with ONR? OR do I need to first treat it with some detailing products - such as Z6 or other QD?
I use Aquawax and Optimum Car Wax after ONR with no problems

4. I didn't want to scrub any dirt/bugs off using ONR but could I treat it as if it were soap water when washing?
I basically use ONR as I would soapy water. When washing a panel I don't scrub or use a lot of pressure. Once I've washed the panel if there are any bugs or stubborn spots remaining I will use a bug sponge or my mitt to go back over the area. Also if there are heavy areas of loose dirt you can pre rinse with a 2 gallon tank sprayer or similar filled with ONR.

5. Also, how much water should be dripping when washing? Some say to squeeze out excess water... but doesn't that make it more prone to swirl marks?
You can squeeze out excess, allow your mitt to drain a little or you can use a fully wet mitt. A wetter mitt seems to work a little better if the panel is dirtier and on cleaner vehicles lets me clean a little more area. I can also clean the car a little faster. Lately I've been squeezing out excess water which cuts my ONR usuage considerably. With squeezing there is some time spent squeezing the mitt, I cover smaller areas but it dries quickier. Overall it takes a couple minutes more. I've used ONR on over 600 washes and have found if worked well however I used it. I don't feel ny method is more prone to swirl marks if caution is taken by altering your application method slightly.

6. Can you wash in direct sunlight?
I've had 0 problems with ONR in sunlight. I started using it a couple of years ago specifically for top surfaces in sunlight. As I used it more and more and became confident I eventually switched over to using it all of the time.

PhaRO - you are the greatest! Thank you for the reply.

Back