Hazy

Jmickle

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this topic has been beaten to death but this is the best place to get some opinions. I wet sand most with 1000-1500-2000-3000 compound and hand polish, I do the compounding and polishing by hand with cotton balls and would like to know how to get the complete haziness out of the light, I know the machine polishing and drill work the best but I'm trying to use the most cost effective way just starting out, thanks for any opinions.
qahy6udu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never heard of using a cotton ball for compounding

Cotton balls actually work pretty well. I'll pick up a drill soon!!

If your charging the customer properly, one job should cover your cost for a drill. Or two jobs should get you really close to a PC 7424! :-)

There are some cases where the haziness is actually on the interior side of the lens. Rare, but we've seen it and if that's the case, there's nothing you can do. Some of the late model Fords and Mitsu's have that problem.

There are some cases where the haziness is actually on the interior side of the lens. Rare, but we've seen it and if that's the case, there's nothing you can do. Some of the late model Fords and Mitsu's have that problem.

Thanks for the info!!

My God, cotton balls! :eek:

I'd just never do anything if I had to use cotton balls. Cost effective, when you talk about how many cotton balls, and how much time you are putting into it really is an abstract thought. My fingers would bend backwards if I tried that! :eek:

Using a drill would cut that time down to a fraction of what I could imagine it would take with cotton balls. Even if you had a store bought $40 headlight restoration kit, you easily make that back two to three fold on a pair of headlights.

My God, cotton balls! :eek:

I'd just never do anything if I had to use cotton balls. Cost effective, when you talk about how many cotton balls, and how much time you are putting into it really is an abstract thought. My fingers would bend backwards if I tried that! :eek:

Using a drill would cut that time down to a fraction of what I could imagine it would take with cotton balls. Even if you had a store bought $40 headlight restoration kit, you easily make that back two to three fold on a pair of headlights.

Hehe yeah man my fingers would permanently cramp.. Check out the harbor freight da polisher

Yea, the cotton balls are a pain but it gets me by for now. Picking up a drill today though, my fingers will love me!!

If you're going to compound and polish by hand with cotton balls I'd sand with 5000 grit first and try skipping the compound.

If you're going to compound and polish by hand with cotton balls I'd sand with 5000 grit first and try skipping the compound.
Ahhh, good idea, i'll try that.

5,000 grit?? Five-Thousand GRIT??! I didn't know they even made such fine grit paper! It must make notebook paper feel like an emery board. :laughing:

apusepur.jpg
went ahead and got me a drill, probably cut my time in half!! Thanks for the responses!!

Has anyone heard of headlightclean.net???

Has anyone heard of headlightclean.net???

Here on Augogeek
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/42414-headlight-clean.html

IMHO, run away, run far far away!

There is NO EASY WAY to repair a failed headlight. Simply wiping something on and expecting to end up with a real, and lasting solution is pure snake oil. Once the coating has failed your only choice is to remove it (by sanding) then polish the lens. Afterwards the lens has to have some sort of UV protectant applied. There are plenty of competing products, from mineral spirits 50/50 with spar varnish, to basic plastic protection that is cream/lotion like (Meguiar's), to UV activated coatings that require special equipment to cure, to wipe on coatings IE: Opti-Lens, Opti-Coat, and I'd say even the silica - quartz based coatings would end up being used for such duty.

Any of the ones I mentioned are likely to be light years better than headlightclean!

Ok, thanks. Figured it was no good just wanted someone's opinion.

Back