Is it possible to polish out these scratches in the chrome trim?

movingforward

Reaction score
The scratches are on a chrome strip that goes along the top edge of the passenger door. I believe it is made of metal. You can see a pic of it in the link below. I would like to remove them if possible, but I don't know what tool and product I can use.

On a related note, how can I protect the plastic chrome in the front of the car? Can I use a paint sealant or do I need to use a trim specific protection?

imgur: the simple image sharer

Looks like plastic stuff and not actual metal that's been chromed ? If so use some plastix

Looks like plastic to me also, hope so because I never had any luck removing even swirls on chrome much less scratches.

Let us know the outcome.

The only thing I really use on plastic chrome is flitz products. It works well but unfortunately It won't level the scratches and swirls out. You can try a very mild polish like menz sf 4000 or 4500 but he very cognitive of the fact that the material is VERY thin.

Looks like plastic to me also, hope so because I never had any luck removing even swirls on chrome much less scratches.

Let us know the outcome.

:iagree: I have never found a way to remove maybe someone will post a way.

:iagree: I have never found a way to remove maybe someone will post a way.
The plating (usually chromium) is very, very thin on:
Decorative Chrome.

That's not conducive for performing "normal" scratch removal processes.

Bob

That's a bummer. The way the scratches reflect in the light, they are pretty noticeable when you go to open the passenger door. It came this way from the dealership. Only 7 miles on the car. Someone must have scratched it with a ring or keys? You would think this material would be made a little more scratch resistant...but I guess not.

Have you talked to the dealer about possibly replacing the piece since the mark was there when you bought it? It's a long shot but other choices seem slim to none. Good luck.

Hi.

I've never tried what I'm going to suggest on those exactly kind of pieces, but it's likely to work because I polish similar metal the following way:

Generally I would sand it with light grit wet sand paper progressively (1500 - 2500 - 3000), and then polish with some cut compound (Uber Compound, Meguiar's D300 (works really well)) with a Dremel 4000.

I use a felt (wool I believe) polishing wheel. D300 gets rid of sanding marks in 3 fast passes and opens a mirror like gloss.

However, you have to know better how to use a dremel to polish metal and even to remove sanding marks. If you never done this before, PLEASE, do not use your brand new car as a test spot. The risk of a huge mess, burning marks and terrible holograms while polishing with a dremel are great if you have no idea of what you're doing. It's really trick (in my opinion) to use well without correct knowledge.

Practice on every un-polished metal you have laying around your house and just try the car when you feel you're ready.

Other than that, I don't know what can be done to that kind of scratches other than sanding and polishing with a dremel like machine.

I also recommend you to not do nothing drastic without negotiating repair with the dealer first. For sure he'll not cover any mess you cause trying to repair on your own.

That's my 0.02$.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.

"I've never tried what I'm going to suggest on those exactly kind of pieces, but it's likely to work..."

Well that should instill confidence from the get go....

That's a bummer. The way the scratches reflect in the light, they are pretty noticeable when you go to open the passenger door. It came this way from the dealership. Only 7 miles on the car. Someone must have scratched it with a ring or keys? You would think this material would be made a little more scratch resistant...but I guess not.

Good Lord!

Have you talked to the dealer about possibly replacing the piece since the mark was there when you bought it? It's a long shot but other choices seem slim to none. Good luck.

THIS!:iagree:

Bumper to bumper warranty, usually 36/36. I'd be asking them sooner than later.

Now, would it polish? I doubt it, not without causing some other sort of damage to the whole vinyl piece. Luckily they all snap on and off, I'd see about getting it replaced under warranty.

My first suggestion would be to try and get the dealership to replace it. Tell them you didn't notice it until you got home. If you have a history with this dealer, that might help your situation also. Next step would be to try a light polish by hand with MF applicator. I'm afraid any attempt at abrading that might just leave you a dull finish that won't match the remainder of the trim though. I wouldn't recommend trying to replace that trim piece on your own.

You might try the DriveAccord.net forum and see if anyone has tried correcting scratches like these on their 9th gen.

Well this my girl's car and she says she doesn't want to hassle with the dealer and wonders if they might scratch something else in the process of replacing it.

On a related note, I suppose the scratches on the black trim that run along the top of the car can't be polished out either...?

I posted a thread last week with my experience cleaning up Audi trim which notoriously oxidizes. I'm not sure if yours is the same type that they use on the BMW and Audi cars which is metal covered with a thin type of plastic coating. I'm updating it later with some more tests I did on how to clean it up. Unfortunately if yours is the same then the scratches are there to stay. Any wet sanding like mentioned will start to remove the coating and make it look much worse.

Trim just snaps on and off. Any competent body shop should be able to do it while you watch.

I'd have to talk to your girl. Take the price of the piece(s) then equate that to something in the car that she does care about, say the radio, or a door handle. Ask her if THEN she would be willing to live without it. ;)

She paid for a full and complete, NEW vehicle. Dealerships know these things happen, plus American Honda will pay for it, AND the dealership makes money installing it. As far as they are concerned it's a win-win. ;)

Back