Not able to remove this on my wheels

Sommy

Reaction score
I have a mercedes C350 and something has bonded to my wheels that I can't remove. It's like a light gray spotted color. No texture to it. It seems like something is baked on.

I have tried numerous wheel cleaners including chemical guys grime reaper and Sonax, but no luck.

Can anyone tell me what this might be and any ideas how to remove it?

View attachment 24631View attachment 24632View attachment 24633

Do you mean Sonax Fe?

Did it change colors indicating the presence of iron brake dust in the effected areas?

How long did you let the Sonax Fe dwell on the surface?

What did you agitate with?

It's really hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like damage from using an incompatible wheel cleaner. Have you had the car serviced lately? Maybe the dealership washed the car? Automatic car wash? Could even be some chemical picked up over the road.

You know that almost looks like road salt damage? Hard to say without a real close look?

It look like salt damage but it also looks as if the brake dust have baked into those corners try some metal polish or compound to see if will lift up if not you will have to resort to wheel repair or steel wool/acid.....Good luck

Try ironX. Apply to the wheel when cool to the touch. Allow to dwell for about 5 minutes. It should turn purple if it comes in contact with rust. Agitate, rinse off, and check the results. If this does not work, try some rubbing compound such as M100, 101, or 105 and see if this removes them. Good luck!

You know that almost looks like road salt damage? Hard to say without a real close look?

:iagree:

Looks like a lot of baked on brake dust too, but looks like some has possibly embedded through the clear and allowed salt and cleaners to get under the clear. If so some refinishing will be in order anyway so I'd use some wheel brightener (acid) with a few minutes of wet dwell time followed by a thorough agitation spraying more acid as needed to keep the wheel wet at all times during the agitation process, repeated as necessary, rinse good and follow that with an APC soak to neutralize any residual acid, then a good thorough final rinse.

That should pretty much prep the wheel for any needed polishing.

Edit: I'd remove the wheels to do this because acid and M.B. brake hardware and calipers is a recipe for disaster.

I have a mercedes C350 and something has bonded to my wheels that I can't remove. It's like a light gray spotted color. No texture to it. It seems like something is baked on.

I have tried numerous wheel cleaners including chemical guys grime reaper and Sonax, but no luck.

Can anyone tell me what this might be and any ideas how to remove it?

View attachment 24631View attachment 24632View attachment 24633

Have no idea what it might be. I would try claying, then hitting it with a cleaner wax or compound

It look like salt damage but it also looks as if the brake dust have baked into those corners try some metal polish or compound to see if will lift up if not you will have to resort to wheel repair or steel wool/acid.....Good luck

This is what I was thinking looking at the first picture. The others, I'm not sure what it is.

I had a similar issue with a BMW I owned where I didn't clean the wheels as often as I needed and the break dust caused pitting in the finish of the wheels. Apperently the break dust when mixed with water becomes caustic and if it isn't removed it will start to eat throug the finish.

The only advice I was given was to re-finish the wheels, but that was a long time ago before I was a part of a group like the folks here who may come up with a less invasive (and expensive) option.

Thanks for the insight. Iron x was on my list to possibly try and I might go that route first to see if that does anything before I try some of the other advice. I'll also try claying since I have some on hand.

I live in Texas and noticed it over the summer so I don't think it's salt but it could be baked on brake dust. I do thorough washing but possible some brake dust missed my cleaning routines.

What do you all recommend for agitation? I have a few speed master brushes but they are too soft for this.

Thanks for the insight. Iron x was on my list to possibly try and I might go that route first to see if that does anything before I try some of the other advice. I'll also try claying since I have some on hand.

I live in Texas and noticed it over the summer so I don't think it's salt but it could be baked on brake dust. I do thorough washing but possible some brake dust missed my cleaning routines.

What do you all recommend for agitation? I have a few speed master brushes but they are too soft for this.

Old toothbrush. Small, stiff enough without being too abrasive, and has the ability to control where the product stays.

It's probably either brake dust that is embedded or wheel cylinder grease. If the surface is smooth to the touch; I would use a magic eraser (while washing/while cool) and an all purpose cleaner as lube. Then hit it with a cleaner wax or compound

Please keep us posted

Back