Better than tarx. Or stronger

DogRescuer

Reaction score
Simple

• What product if any do you suggest to remove stubborn tar that's better(if any) than tarx?
  • And I have used it and not impressed IF tar is old.
  • I have used mineral spirits and wasn't impressed
And:

• What about compounding it off using da (might ruin pad huh)?
Any ideas will help.

Hi Steve,

Tar is petroleum based so kerosene has always worked very well and won't harm the paint. Simply soak a cotton cloth in it then lightly rub over the affected area and you'll see it begin to dissolve the tar. Once finished, use a paint cleaner to remove any staining that might be present...

Never tried kerosene, but stoners tarminator worked really well on my rims and front clip.

gojo hand cleaner will dissolve tar without harming paint

I've fallen in love with Tarminator. I only wish they sold gallon sizes

Simple

• What product if any do you suggest to remove stubborn tar that's better(if any) than tarx?
  • And I have used it and not impressed IF tar is old.
  • I have used mineral spirits and wasn't impressed
And:

• What about compounding it off using da (might ruin pad huh)?
Any ideas will help.

It still works if the tar is old. I had tar on my parent's van baked on for almost 10 years and used TarX couple months ago and it took it off. It will need a couple applications but it does take it off.

Hi Steve,

Tar is petroleum based so kerosene has always worked very well and won't harm the paint. Simply soak a cotton cloth in it then lightly rub over the affected area and you'll see it begin to dissolve the tar. Once finished, use a paint cleaner to remove any staining that might be present...
Thanks Bobby, when you say use a paint cleaner, what is that, ipa or qd or mineral spirits?

It still works if the tar is old. I had tar on my parent's van baked on for almost 10 years and used TarX couple months ago and it took it off. It will need a couple applications but it does take it off.
Thanks, you must be a more patient man than me.

Back