Need Guidance- Black Truck- 1 and Done

BlackRam

Reaction score
Hey-
I am been reading threads, articles, videos, etc since Last Fall. Once it gets a little warmer, I am going to coat my 13' Ram 1500 Crew truck as it is my daily driver. With a wife, baby on the way, full time job, 2 dogs, etc, would like some weekend free time to not have to wax the trucker (just wash it).

I am looking for a master shopping list/order of duties of what I will need. Note that I am doing everything by hand and have been since I bought it.
The truck is in better condition than most people's on the road as I am super careful with it but there are some minor swirls, type 2 water marks, rock chips, and scratches.

Megs Gold Glass Wash (2BM w/ Grit Guard w/wash mitt) - have all these already
Clay - going to go the Nanoskin sponge route, ok?
Purchase Iron X.

Then rewash it with above same method.

Now here is where I am confused. What do I need?
Dr Color Chip?
Megs 105 & 205? If not this combo what is a good bet? Which applicator as well?

Where do in the process would I do the Car Pro Eraser? Is that the best LSP stripper?

I am looking to to coat it with 22PLE. Is the 30 ML enough to do the whole truck?

Its pretty much I have read so much stuff need some help scrambling my thoughts.
Thank you very much.

Your saying you don't have a buffer of any kind?

If so stay away from the 105, it would be difficult to work with by hand and I wouldn't use if it it were me.
Works great though with a DA or rotary.

If you have only very few swirls try the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and follow up with the 205.
It can be done doing it by hand, it just will take longer.
Work very small area at a time.

I also have a 13 black ram sport and I decided to buy a GG DA w/ 5" backing plate. Only my lsp will be done by hand; it became a weekend job for me all by hand last year, especially with black.:xyxthumbs:

I unfortunately do not have any buffer. Since i bought the truck new and kept up with it and going into winter, I didnt have a use for it, so to speak. I dont want to spend the money on it if it only gets 1 use for the next 1-2 yrs since I will be coating it.

Which applicator to use with the UC 205 combo? The normal yellow applicators?

Another thought...

That truck is black and Dodge paint is on the harder side so doing it by hand you are in for a long hard road if you try and do any kind of correction....

That's why I recommended Megs #20, it's a cleaner sealant, chemical cleaner to just clean it up.

Wait on the error correcting until you can get a DA Polisher, then get UC and M205.

Jankerson- Thank you for the advice (and pad link). I know it will take forever but if i am coating it in as soon as it warms up enough, i cant justify buying a da for a one time use?

Jankerson- Thank you for the advice (and pad link). I know it will take forever but if i am coating it in as soon as it warms up enough, i cant justify buying a da for a one time use?

Yeah, it does...

You will be hating that truck before you get 1/4 the way done and want to burn it before 1/2 way if you are doing it by hand...

That's a lot of paint to cover, believe me I know....

That $100 plus pads for it that you might spend on a DA polisher will be more than worth it......

And you will need it later on anyway, another car etc....

If you lived around me I would give you a hand with it....

so let's do the math, how many pads would I need to do the whole truck?
in your experience, hey if you can convince me, then we may be onto something

so let's do the math, how many pads would I need to do the whole truck?
in your experience, hey if you can convince me, then we may be onto something

I would say you can get away with 6 total...

3 Orange, 2 White, 1 Blue.. All 5.5" LC Flat pads.

Hey jankerson

I bet the Meguiar's D151 would work good too by hand?
All in one so it would be easy for him to do it without having a buffer.
I found it very easy to remove.

What do you think?

Another thought...

That truck is black and Dodge paint is on the harder side so doing it by hand you are in for a long hard road if you try and do any kind of correction....

That's why I recommended Megs #20, it's a cleaner sealant, chemical cleaner to just clean it up.

Wait on the error correcting until you can get a DA Polisher, then get UC and M205.

If you lived around me I bet I could hit with Megs D151 and then maybe M205 if needed to bring it up even more and it would be good.... :xyxthumbs:

Hey jankerson

What do you think?

I agree 100%...

If he lived near me I would do it for him..... With him helping...

I could knock it out in 4 hours with D151 easy....

I've corrected a lot of Dodges. They do have pretty hard paint usually. No way I'd try to correct one by hand. Even if you purchase the equipment, do the job and then sell off the equipment at a loss you'll be way ahead in terms of time and crushing fatigue. Light polishing or waxing by hand and correcting paint by hand are 2 totally different things. Not to mention you'll be working on the hardest color to make look great.

But if i did it by hand, I would need a h*ll of alot more pads right?

So UC and 205 is a good combo if I get a DA is the best best? Not an AIO w/o the wax?

He wouldn't want to use this before applying his coating though.

Or like you guys just said the D151 by hand? Im in philly, yeah too bad raleigh is too far away. im open game for what to do to make it right

I agree 100%...

If he lived near me I would do it for him..... With him helping...

I could knock it out in 4 hours with D151 easy....

Lol

Key words "with him helping"
Love it:dblthumb2:

I'd help him out too if he was near.
From what he's saying I don't think he needs anything too aggressive , even when I said for him to try the Ultimate Compound but I recommend using it because it's easy to work with by hand.
Working with the105 by hand would do more harm than good IMO.
Now that I think about it the D151 would be best for him.

Lol

Key words "with him helping"
Love it:dblthumb2:

I'd help him out too if he was near.
From what he's saying I don't think he needs anything too aggressive , even when I said for him to try the Ultimate Compound but I recommend using it because it's easy to work with by hand.
Working with the105 by hand would do more harm than good IMO.
Now that I think about it the D151 would be best for him.

Not sure if it comes in anything but gallon size though...

Back