PDA

View Full Version : Dent/Chips

davidnolen
03-12-2014, 12:01 PM
This may not be the right place for this, but I thought I would start with Auto Detailing 101 and can move it to another location if needed within this forum.

A few weeks ago someone decided to open their door and ding the crap out of my passenger side door. I contacted a local paintless repair shop and he said he could get the dent out for $100 (much better than the body shop..over $300)!

I did not mention to him that right above the dent, on the ridge of the door (guess that's the right term), there is a nice size chip. I didn't mention it simply because that is not his specialty.

Any ideas on how I can get this repaired? Is it an easy DIY, or does a body shop need to do this?

Thanks in advance for any input!

sn0w
03-12-2014, 12:11 PM
This helped me:
Paint Chip Touch Up | AMMO NYC (http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/)

davidnolen
03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
This helped me:
Paint Chip Touch Up | AMMO NYC (http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/)

Crazy thing is...I was watching this video when I got email notification from your post!

This is a pretty big chip. I ordered the touch up paint and clear coat stuff they said I would need from the dealership yesterday (should be in thursday).

03-12-2014, 12:30 PM
what kind of clear coat stuff from the dealer?

davidnolen
03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
what kind of clear coat stuff from the dealer?

I'm guessing it's just a small bottle of clearcoat they use on the car from factory. I was able to get that and the paint for less than $20...normally it's about $40ish from what they told me.

03-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing it's just a small bottle of clearcoat they use on the car from factory. I was able to get that and the paint for less than $20...normally it's about $40ish from what they told me.

I'm skeptical about that clear coat...great video to repair it correctly but can be time consuming.

davidnolen
03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm skeptical about that clear coat...great video to repair it correctly but can be time consuming.

I am too now that you mention it and i'm sitting here thinking about it. Maybe I can mix the two and use that vs painting, then clearing. My only concern is that it's a big mark