Full flow quick connects for garden hose

BlueBeast14GT

Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of full flow brass quick connects. I've been using the standard brass set from Gilmour, but with a set at each end I think it's really restricting the flow. I do not want to use the plastic set. Does anyone know of a good full flow brass set for a garden hose?

I am in the same boat. I am also searching for a high flow shut off valve. I think that it is the shut off valve that is reducing flow.

I am in the same boat. I am also searching for a high flow shut off valve. I think that it is the shut off valve that is reducing flow.

I guess I need one of those too. I thought I had found one, but I just checked and it is not full flow.

DRAMM makes really good valves. DRAMM - Valves
The one I have (been using it for years) is shown at the bottom of the screen. My quick connects are leaking, I need to replace those though.

The disconnects that AG sells are full flow types. They are perfect cart adds when needed to meet a minimum. I have everything set up for disconnects: foam gun, pressure washer, several sprayers.

The Dramm is a good full flow shut off.

I am using a 2 way shut off value so I have a hose to rinse and one to hook up to my power washer bought it at Home Depot for like 8 dollars I think works great and it brass!

Lowe's has some in their pressure washer department. No governor in them standard garden hose fittings, sold as a male and female pack. Can't recall the name off hand, but it might be their blue hawk brand.

The disconnects that AG sells are full flow types. They are perfect cart adds when needed to meet a minimum. I have everything set up for disconnects: foam gun, pressure washer, several sprayers.

It looks like the QDs AG sells are the Gilmour brand. The Gilmours brass QDs are not really full flow. The ID is about 1/2 inch. They do make plastic QDs with a 3/4 inch ID, but I just don't trust those to last.

Mine are not Dramm, but they are at least brass. Probably older Gilmour. :dunno: Thing is NOW they are selling anodized aluminum ones that LOOK brass, are CHEAPER than brass, and STICK fairly quickly! :rolleyes:

I've got the old, solid brass ones everywhere. We have 5 outdoor spigots (one up by the street at full pressure), quick connects on everything. All the hoses, all the equipment, everything interconnects.

The brass shut offs though (at least in the home supply stores) are very restrictive. I'll by that grayish looking one either a single outlet or two outlets. Problem is I have to buy at least 1 per season. The metal part holds up (with the large ball valve) but the plastic part that screws onto the spigot ALWAYS FAILS. :(

Mine are not Dramm, but they are at least brass. Probably older Gilmour. :dunno: Thing is NOW they are selling anodized aluminum ones that LOOK brass, are CHEAPER than brass, and STICK fairly quickly! :rolleyes:

I've got the old, solid brass ones everywhere. We have 5 outdoor spigots (one up by the street at full pressure), quick connects on everything. All the hoses, all the equipment, everything interconnects.

The brass shut offs though (at least in the home supply stores) are very restrictive. I'll by that grayish looking one either a single outlet or two outlets. Problem is I have to buy at least 1 per season. The metal part holds up (with the large ball valve) but the plastic part that screws onto the spigot ALWAYS FAILS. :(

Are you talking about this one?
They've got a few of these "metal" products now. Apparently they're plastic inside with a metal shell, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest cliche, or something like that.

I guess since mine are all within a year old, they're probably anodized aluminum. When you say they "STICK fairly quickly" are you referring to the female end not popping back up when you push it down? Like this?
20140316_125844.jpg

I just replaced one because of that yesterday. I sprayed it with WD-40, which worked surprisingly well, but I also got WD-40 all over it.

My biggest issue with the Gilmours, other than flow restriction, is that the rubber parts eventually come loose on the female end. Once they won't stay in place, it becomes really frustrating and difficult to try to use.
Push down on the ring and just the rubber goes down.
20140316_125053.jpg
20140316_124650.jpg

Are you talking about this one?
They've got a few of these "metal" products now. Apparently they're plastic inside with a metal shell, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest cliche, or something like that.

I guess since mine are all within a year old, they're probably anodized aluminum. When you say they "STICK fairly quickly" are you referring to the female end not popping back up when you push it down? Like this?
20140316_125844.jpg

I just replaced one because of that yesterday. I sprayed it with WD-40, which worked surprisingly well, but I also got WD-40 all over it.

My biggest issue with the Gilmours, other than flow restriction, is that the rubber parts eventually come loose on the female end. Once they won't stay in place, it becomes really frustrating and difficult to try to use.
Push down on the ring and just the rubber goes down.
20140316_125053.jpg
20140316_124650.jpg

Yep? The shutoff is like that one, except I'll buy 2 way units.

The quick connect some had tje rubber like yours (rubber gets eat up by UV rays and falls off) but at least they are brass.

Lowes and Home Depot now have them though that just LOOK like brass (no rubber) and are 100% aluminum! :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yep? The shutoff is like that one, except I'll buy 2 way units.

The quick connect some had tje rubber like yours (rubber gets eat up by UV rays and falls off) but at least they are brass.

Lowes and Home Depot now have them though that just LOOK like brass (no rubber) and are 100% aluminum! :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

How does the aluminum compare to brass? I've heard a lot of the brass ones are only plated in brass. Don't get the ones from HD! I tried those before I got the Gilmours from Lowe's and they were terrible. Maybe I just got a defective set, but even the non-metallic parts don't feel as high of quality as the Gilmour set. They feel like cheap plastic rather than rubber.

Btw, someone in another thread pointed me to a true full-flow quick disconnect set. Thanks for the help everyone! And if you guys want to check out my homemade brass full flow shut-off valve, I posted a DIY write-up here.

Back