PDA

View Full Version : OTC Spray clear coat vs Eastwood

Pages : [1] 2

bcgreen
03-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I would like to know if the over the counter clear coat in a spray can is just as good as the more expensive Eastwood Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint aerosol. I know there are many brands of clear coat, some better than others, I am not an expert so maybe someone can recommend a really good one that I can get locally, unless Eastwood's one is that much better.
I am going to spray clear coat the barrels of a set of BBS wheels.

BlackRam
03-16-2014, 02:38 PM
in on this

kochdalton87
03-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I would also like to know a little on this. I'm planning on using a filler primer on my barrels and then painting and clearing them. Currently I have in my possession the Dupli-Color clear (part of their wheel coating system) and was asking myself the same question. Subscribed

davidc
03-16-2014, 03:31 PM
I would like to know if the over the counter clear coat in a spray can is just as good as the more expensive Eastwood Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint aerosol. I know there are many brands of clear coat, some better than others, I am not an expert so maybe someone can recommend a really good one that I can get locally, unless Eastwood's one is that much better.
I am going to spray clear coat the barrels of a set of BBS wheels.

What you want is known as y2k clear. It is a clear with a hardening agent mixed in and will long outlive your everyday clear. Eastwood sells this in a spray can but you need to be ready as once it is mixed you need to use it then throw it away. A local paint supply may be able to provide the same setup. The alternative is to buy the clear and hardener and mix into a spray gun. Same scenario tho, what does not get used is thrown away. 99% of the outcome is the effort before spraying.

Dave

kochdalton87
03-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Not to high jack the thread but this may be a question you have too, idk. Is the y2k clear able to be wet sanded and polished after curing?

davidc
03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Not to high jack the thread but this may be a question you have too, idk. Is the y2k clear able to be wet sanded and polished after curing?

Yes it can and helps to know this before hand as you can give another coat or two so you can wet sand the orange peel smooth. I would give it a day or two before sanding

Dave

kochdalton87
03-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Yes it can and helps to know this before hand as you can give another coat or two so you can wet sand the orange peel smooth. I would give it a day or two before sanding

Dave

Thanks for the info!

bcgreen
03-16-2014, 05:39 PM
What you want is known as y2k clear. It is a clear with a hardening agent mixed in and will long outlive your everyday clear. Eastwood sells this in a spray can but you need to be ready as once it is mixed you need to use it then throw it away. A local paint supply may be able to provide the same setup. The alternative is to buy the clear and hardener and mix into a spray gun. Same scenario tho, what does not get used is thrown away. 99% of the outcome is the effort before spraying.

Dave
Thanks for the help. Is the Eastwood's product Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint the one I need to purchase?
Isn't this mixed well ahead of being used, by the consumer? Are you saying once I receive the can from Eastwood and I start to use it, then I haveto throw the can away.
Do you think 1 can will coat the barrels of 4 wheels or do I need more than 1?

davidc
03-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the help. Is the Eastwood's product Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint the one I need to purchase?
Isn't this mixed well ahead of being used, by the consumer? Are you saying once I receive the can from Eastwood and I start to use it, then I haveto throw the can away.
Do you think 1 can will coat the barrels of 4 wheels or do I need more than 1?

I personally would use the y2k. Read the reviews on both before your purchase.
Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear (http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spray-high-gloss-clear.html?reltype=2&parent_id=4665)

Dave

MPBGT
03-16-2014, 06:27 PM
I have not personally used it yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Eastwood clear

ken tuep
03-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Most auto bodyshop supply stores will carry 2k clearcoat. I've used the spray Max brand with great results on smaller items, mirrors and door handles.

It should be perfect for your wheel barrels. They make them in different gloss levels, I would recommend the semi-gloss, as its easier to spray and a bit more forgiving than a high gloss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

bcgreen
03-16-2014, 07:12 PM
2k it is. I hope the one can will cover the 4 wheels.
I will check out the body shop ones as well.
Thanks

dewoof01
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I have used the spraymax 2k many times. Works great, really nice sprayer on it too. I just painted and cleared my wheels i refinished and used the spraymax vs. setting up my hvlp gun and 2 cans did all four wheels fronts and insides. Spendy stuff, but much better than acrylic. Its worth the ~$20 a can. Body shop supply stores usually carry them as alot of auto body guys use them for minor clear repairs vs. setting up the gun and mixing and going to the booth.

bcgreen
03-16-2014, 08:37 PM
So what's the difference between these two Eastwood's 2K clear coats?

Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear (http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spray-high-gloss-clear.html)

Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat aerosol (http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html)

davidc
03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
So what's the difference between these two Eastwood's 2K clear coats?

Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear (http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-2k-aero-spray-high-gloss-clear.html)

Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat aerosol (http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html)

Only difference I see on spec sheet is Spray Max recommends IR drying and small square foot covering compared to y2k high gloss

Dave