How to know when a scratch is too deep

DanielSwe

Reaction score
Friends, this might be out on a limb but I learned from a guy working with painting cars that if you have a deep scratch and want to know if you can polish it away (with a rotary), spray some liquid on it to determine what you can or cannot do. I use water, thing is if the scratch disappears when you get water on it, you will be able to do something about it. If not, then it's too deep.

If someone has a better way to determine which it's gonna be, feel free to say so.

Daniel

If your nail catches it then it might need wet sanding.

D&D Auto Detailing said:
If your nail catches it then it might need wet sanding.
Yah I think that is the general rule of thumb we go by - if you can feel it with a nail, it is not good!

yep, if it catches the nail, youre donzo. you can, however, definitely reduce its appearance with a little work.

If your nail catches it, it will be impossible to remove by PC.

The nail-principle is a good one. Thanks, friends.

bambo2888 said:
yep, if it catches the nail, youre donzo. you can, however, definitely reduce its appearance with a little work.

Well if you do get a scratch that does catch your nail it means it is quite deep but if your doing full correction on the paint I've corrected deep scratches with touch up paint and wet sanding. Works like a charm and you can't even tell there was a scratch. That's just one method there are others but don't be affraid of a deep scratch, wet sanding rocks on deep scratches :righton: oh but be cuations ;)

Nica, reminds me of doing the car of a car painter in town. He had a deep scratch on the hood and asked if he should wet-sand the thing but I told him "Let me try first". It was a second-time detail for him. I swept that area twice with the rotary and presto, went straight through the clear coat......He must have sanded his butt off.

Just one of my stories, I want to learn more on wet sanding so thanks for the information!

P1et said:
If your nail catches it, it will be impossible to remove by PC.

Not really. I've removed a scratch that I've felt with my nail before.

6LS2 said:
Not really. I've removed a scratch that I've felt with my nail before.

Im sure a lot of it depends on the CC too, soft or hard.

Back