First Timer

Scottso

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and first timer to detailing my own vehicle. I have a 2013 Tundra Nautical Blue Metallic. My first new vehicle in 25 years. I owned it about a year and been taking care of it. Washing it with Maguire wash & wax and I using ultimate detailing spay. I have very minor spider web or micro scratches on the surface and some minor light water spots. The scratches & water spots are visible in the sun light in the shade they are not visible and the paint is like glass. The surface of the paint is smooth and in good condition. I am looking for the best way to take care of these very minor imperfections and bring the deep color out. With out being over agressive on the clear coat.
I do have a DA polisher I am looking for the correct products to use in this situation.
Thanks for any help.

Welcome to autogeek since you have a Toyota your paint might be soft and probably single stage therefore I would do a one step process using a product like Menzerna Power Finish with either green or white pad(make sure to do a test spot first) as for the water spots I would treat those first before polishing by hand with a product like meguiars water spot remover also don't forget to wash, and clay the vehicle before the polishing step

I think you would do fine starting out with an AIO. I myself use Griots One-Step Sealant and it's pretty easy to work with. It will take some of those scratches out and fill the deeper ones.

If you want to go to something with more cut I would suggest a finish polish like James suggested. Meguiars M205 and Ultimate Polish are good.

Welcome to AGO Scott.
One of the first things I would do is clay the paint to remove bonded contaminates, and wipe it down with white vinegar to remove mineral deposits/water spots. Then the paint will be completely smooth, and a lot clearer, and ready to polish and seal. If you are specifically trying to remove the light scratches and swirls then I would go straight to a polish/swirl remover. That said, do you have a polisher, or do you plan to do it by hand?
While the paint may be ob the softer side, it is still too hard to thoroughly/properly remove defects. The paint is not single stage, which means you will be working on the clear coat, not metallic blue paint. As far as I know Toyota only uses SS paint for white. Any OEM metallic paint has to be clear coated, otherwise the consumer would have oxidized paint and metal flake in a relatively short period of time.
If you are ready to polish the truck by hand or machine, then I would recommend something like Mother's cleaner wax, and maintain after each wash with a spray wax.

Welcome to AGO Scott.
One of the first things I would do is clay the paint to remove bonded contaminates, and wipe it down with white vinegar to remove mineral deposits/water spots. Then the paint will be completely smooth, and a lot clearer, and ready to polish and seal. If you are specifically trying to remove the light scratches and swirls then I would go straight to a polish/swirl remover. That said, do you have a polisher, or do you plan to do it by hand?
While the paint may be ob the softer side, it is still too hard to thoroughly/properly remove defects. The paint is not single stage, which means you will be working on the clear coat, not metallic blue paint. As far as I know Toyota only uses SS paint for white. Any OEM metallic paint has to be clear coated, otherwise the consumer would have oxidized paint and metal flake in a relatively short period of time.
If you are ready to polish the truck by hand or machine, then I would recommend something like Mother's cleaner wax, and maintain after each wash with a spray wax.
Yes I do have a porter cable DA polisher a plan to use it since it is a big vehicle. It is 2 stage paint. I am new at this and there are a ton of products out there makes my head spin
Thanks for the advise I need all the help I can get.

There are a TON of products to choose from for a reason ;)

..and yes it's so they can make more money:dblthumb2:

Try to simplify your process and not get caught up in the hype. It's all in the technique.

Re: First time using a DA Griots Polisher

This is my first time using a polisher. I had purchased the Griots club kit. I own a 14 maroon silverado & 13 silver lexus rx 350 which are only a few months old. I wash both these vehicles every other week. I have clayed both trucks and waxed them about two weeks ago. I am just a little confused about the discussions about polishes and glazes. Are they recommended for newer cars? I don't have any scratches or swirls in the paint! I use the 2 bucket system and the trucks get dried with the metro vac and blow.my other question is when claying a car does that remove the wax. I am receiving my da polisher monday and next week I want to put a paint sealant on both trucks and a coat of wax. Just a little confused about the correct steps! Thanks

da polisher

This is my first time using a polisher. I had purchased the Griots club kit. I own a 14 maroon silverado & 13 silver lexus rx 350 which are only a few months old. I wash both these vehicles every other week. I have clayed both trucks and waxed them about two weeks ago. I am just a little confused about the discussions about polishes and glazes. Are they recommended for newer cars? I don't have any scratches or swirls in the paint! I use the 2 bucket system and the trucks get dried with the metro vac and blow.my other question is when claying a car does that remove the wax. I am receiving my da polisher monday and next week I want to put a paint sealant on both trucks and a coat of wax. Just a little confused about the correct steps! Thanks

Back