PDA

View Full Version : If you could, please critique my list!

Pages : [1] 2

shkGX470
04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Hi all! I've been lurking for some time now and have researched, researched and researched on this site! Man, what a great resource!

I have bought some stuff and have a pile of stuff in the cart now and wanted to make sure what "the hive" thought about my choices. To illustrate my newbness, I'll admit that I've never even used the two bucket approach! Now, I'm a believer.

The facts:
I'm not in this to be in business. I'll never do this on the side or do my neighbor's car for a fee...I'm just in it for the fun of it and receiving the rewards of hard work.

The truck I own is a BLACK (sometimes a blessing, most of the time a curse!) Lexus GX470. Having read on here for a while, I understand that Toyota/Lexus uses soft paints, which was good to know.

I have bought already and used, two home depot buckets, two grit guards, meg's gold wash (man this stuff smells good), meg's MF wash mitt and a dozen CG MF towels. I also have a HF DA 6 inch polisher

The question:
Now I'm ready for a good session of compounding/polishing and a wax over top. Here is my list that, if you guys wouldn't mind, help me with. If you see anything that doesn't work, please let me know:
LC 5 inch backing plate
LC 5.5 inch flat pads (2 orange, 2 white, 2 black or 2 orange, 3 white, 1 black)
Meg's Clay Bar Kit
Meg's Ultimate Compound (this too strong for soft paint?)
Meg's Ultimate Polishing (redundant with the compound?)
Collinite 875
ONR

The condition of the truck is fairly good. Some scratches, but nothing that'll hang a nail, except for a few door ding which I can't do anything about. Hood has the most scratches, but again, nothing that'll hang a nail at this point. Having said this, is the ultimate compound too much? Could I go M105 and M205 instead of UC & UP? Should I clay, compound, polish and then wax? Anything I can leave out?

As you can see with my choices, I'm watching my costs (Meg's vs Menzerna or BF) as I'm only doing ONE truck. My plan is to go through all the steps twice a year and maintain. Thanks so much!!

Bigsurprise
04-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I am new to this like yourself and only recently made an account after researching for weeks. I am in the same boat as you and have the same exact goals as you. I didn't see any responses so thought I would chime in with what I have learned so far.

The polishing pads look good. I myself just ordered 2 each of the CCS Orange, white, and red. I went with the Riccardo clay and some ONR as lube, but I think the Megs you picked out is more economical.

I picked up some Megs ultimate compound and polish as I heard they are great products and very noob friendly. I also read many great things about Megs 105 and 205.

Collinite 845 had such glowing reviews I think you will be good with that. I thought about getting some myself but I decided to splurge for some Zymol Glasur. I hear CG xxx is a very underrated wax if you want a paste instead of a liquid.

I'm not really sure why you have the ONR up there?

A lot of people like to use a dedicated sealant under the wax for extra protection once the wax wears off. I think the 845 is both a sealant and wax so I think you are covered.

As I understand it, you have it right. You wash, clay, compound, polish, seal, and then wax. You can use a quick detailer after the wax is cured but I don't think it is really necessary.

Looks to me like we are both on the same page! The only thing I didn't see on your list was a good car wash/shampoo. Or is that what ONR is for? I have read a lot of great things about Duragloss 901, Megs gold class, and the CG lineup.

Edit: I almost forgot, you will need some nice cloths for buffing the wax off and perhaps a waffle weave type MF for drying the truck.

mgmoore7
04-01-2014, 06:46 PM
I just did virtually the same on my two white vehicles.

My steps were:
1. Wash
2. Iron X - i have white and everyone suggested that for white
3. Wash
4. Clay
5. Megs Ult Compound
6. Megs Ult Polish
7. Megs Ult Liq Wax
8. Collinite 845

I used the GG and basically the same pads. There were a few scratches that I think something more aggressive for some scratches but for me ans with white cars, I was happy with the results.

04-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Hi all! I've been lurking for some time now and have researched, researched and researched on this site! Man, what a great resource!

I have bought some stuff and have a pile of stuff in the cart now and wanted to make sure what "the hive" thought about my choices. To illustrate my newbness, I'll admit that I've never even used the two bucket approach! Now, I'm a believer.

The facts:
I'm not in this to be in business. I'll never do this on the side or do my neighbor's car for a fee...I'm just in it for the fun of it and receiving the rewards of hard work.

The truck I own is a BLACK (sometimes a blessing, most of the time a curse!) Lexus GX470. Having read on here for a while, I understand that Toyota/Lexus uses soft paints, which was good to know.

I have bought already and used, two home depot buckets, two grit guards, meg's gold wash (man this stuff smells good), meg's MF wash mitt and a dozen CG MF towels. I also have a HF DA 6 inch polisher

The question:
Now I'm ready for a good session of compounding/polishing and a wax over top. Here is my list that, if you guys wouldn't mind, help me with. If you see anything that doesn't work, please let me know:
LC 5 inch backing plate
LC 5.5 inch flat pads (2 orange, 2 white, 2 black or 2 orange, 3 white, 1 black)
Meg's Clay Bar Kit
Meg's Ultimate Compound (this too strong for soft paint?)
Meg's Ultimate Polishing (redundant with the compound?)
Collinite 875
ONR

The condition of the truck is fairly good. Some scratches, but nothing that'll hang a nail, except for a few door ding which I can't do anything about. Hood has the most scratches, but again, nothing that'll hang a nail at this point. Having said this, is the ultimate compound too much? Could I go M105 and M205 instead of UC & UP? Should I clay, compound, polish and then wax? Anything I can leave out?

As you can see with my choices, I'm watching my costs (Meg's vs Menzerna or BF) as I'm only doing ONE truck. My plan is to go through all the steps twice a year and maintain. Thanks so much!!

I am new to this like yourself and only recently made an account after researching for weeks. I am in the same boat as you and have the same exact goals as you. I didn't see any responses so thought I would chime in with what I have learned so far.

The polishing pads look good. I myself just ordered 2 each of the CCS Orange, white, and red. I went with the Riccardo clay and some ONR as lube, but I think the Megs you picked out is more economical.

I picked up some Megs ultimate compound and polish as I heard they are great products and very noob friendly. I also read many great things about Megs 105 and 205.

Collinite 845 had such glowing reviews I think you will be good with that. I thought about getting some myself but I decided to splurge for some Zymol Glasur. I hear CG xxx is a very underrated wax if you want a paste instead of a liquid.

A lot of people like to use a dedicated sealant under the wax for extra protection once the wax wears off. I think the 845 is both a sealant and wax so I think you are covered.

As I understand it, you have it right. You wash, clay, compound, polish, seal, and then wax. You can use a quick detailer after the wax is cured but I don't think it is really necessary.

Looks to me like we are both on the same page! The only thing I didn't see on your list was a good car wash/shampoo. Or is that what ONR is for? I have read a lot of great things about Duragloss 901, Megs gold class, and the CG lineup.

Edit: I almost forgot, you will need some nice cloths for buffing the wax off and perhaps a waffle weave type MF for drying the truck.

Welcome to AGO!

You're both on the right path. I would suggest another dozen MF towels. I'm like you guys enthusiast but it's quickly turned into OCD lol!

Keeping a black mustang as a dd is a second job in itself...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/73763-06-mustang-gt.html

The Guz
04-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Meguiar's UC/UP is a good combo. They are derived from M105/M205 but are intended to be more user friendly. My recommendation is to do a test spot to see how the paint reacts. With the pads you have mentioned and if the paint is indeed soft, I would start off with UP on a black pad and work your way more aggressive if you need to. For example stepping up to a white pad with UP.

I have not used colinite so I can't comment on that. I typically use Meguiar's ultimate wax, M21 or M26.

shkGX470
04-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks for all your responses! I really appreciate it!

The only real decision left for me now is whether to go Meg's UC/UP or 105/205. The latter is just so much more economical. But, this may be one of those choices where I can't go wrong either way.

Knowing I have soft paint, is there a reason for me to get the UC or 105? How much correction can come from UP or 205 with an orange pad?

shkGX470
04-02-2014, 08:01 AM

I was thinking just for maintaince between the waxing sessions? Something better out there?

Welcome to AGO!

You're both on the right path. I would suggest another dozen MF towels. I'm like you guys enthusiast but it's quickly turned into OCD lol!

Keeping a black mustang as a dd is a second job in itself...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/73763-06-mustang-gt.html

IT'S LIKE A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12silvy
04-02-2014, 08:11 AM
I've used Meg's ultimate compound and ultimate polish and I don't like either of them. Seems like they have more oil and filler in then which is why I don't like them. I would go with m101/m205. That combo will do just about anything you could ever throw at it.
I use the lc flat pads and when doing a vehicle I easily go through 5/7 pads for a step. So you will need more pads.
Like stated above more mf towels as well you can never really have to many.

With all this said welcome and you're on the right track!

Loser
04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
I was thinking just for maintaince between the waxing sessions? Something better out there?

ONR will be good for either clay lube or a quick detailer depending on your dilution. Some even use a bit in their soap bucket to soften their water and reduce water spots. Then, when you get the itch to start doing rinseless washes, you'll already have it and will just need some more microfibers.

Zelfiris
04-02-2014, 08:20 AM

IT'S LIKE A DISEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONR is great stuff and you probably know about it by now. Aside from diluting it as clay lube, you can use it a detailing spray and maintenance washes.

For myself when I don't want to do a traditional wash and get everything out of the garage, I fill one bucket up with water and ONR then toss 10-15 MF towels and proceed to clean with 'Garry Dean' method. It saves a lot of time and water.

For your pads, if you have not already ordered, I would suggest another orange pad or another white pad because you would typically need more pad for 'correcting' paint while the other pads are used for restoring gloss.

Test your combination and see what corrects well from least aggressive. But I would personally try this order:

1. white + Meg's LP (least cut but no haze)
2. white + Meg's UC
3. orange + Meg's LP
4. orange + Meg's UC (most cut but most haze)

You get the idea :)

shkGX470
04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
So more MF towels and pads. Got it!

My wife is going to kill me....hahahaha

04-02-2014, 09:21 AM
So more MF towels and pads. Got it!

My wife is going to kill me....hahahaha

Give the wife a lil extra attention and you'll be fine :dblthumb2:

shkGX470
04-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Give the wife a lil extra attention and you'll be fine :dblthumb2:

I know it'd help if I detailed her car too, but vacuuming a minivan seems...counter-intuitive!

04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
hahaha well you know how the saying goes happy wife=happy life!

EVOlved
04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Do hers first and say this is why I did it!! She'll end up appreciating it!!