Full detail when selling a car

muscleman

Reaction score
I am in college and buy and sell used cars about 1-3 a month for money what protocol would you reccomend for me to do to get the most money possible i am talking full detail and what products would you use.... keep in mind i am looking to make money here i want the car too look new but am not looking to spend a fortune on things like wolfgang and blackfire they are great but not for me

Sent from my LGL35G using AG Online

You are selling 1-3 cars a month? Iowa would require you to have a dealers license. As far as products go I would use Folex on carpets. It is cheap and works great. Interior surfaces I like poorboys Natural look. Exterior a good APC such as zep citrus for tires then a good clay bar and a wax or sealant layed down. A one step polish I use is FG400 if you are looking to make it look a little better.

I can't talk about legal info and car selling lol but usualy only 1 or 2 and what would u reccomend for tires and trim i have hyper dressing now ...also can you apply paste wax like megs cleaner with pc7424xp

Hyper dressing will work. Yes you can apply paste wax via machine.

Anyone else feel Mike's articles should be stickied?

Also what would be a good process to follow qhen detailng to sell like step by step

Awesome link ! But could someone post a basic list for detailing

Hello Muscleman, I am gonna start doing what you are doing this year. I already purchased a car this winter but it's pretty much impossible for me to work on cars during the winter where I live because I do not own a garage.

Ok, so here are the important things:

For interior, you want to vacuum every nook and crany then wipe down everything (including headliner, fabric surfaces and all).

Then work on problem areas if there are any. I would do a carpet and seat shampoo. If you don't have a hot water extractor, there are 2 cheap ways to do this: Purchase a Bisell Little Green machine (or their car specific equivalent) for about 100$ or use a wet or dry vacuum cleaner. If you have neither, I would go with a Rigid wet and dry vacuum cleaner because it will be dual purpose for you. If you already own a vacuum cleaner then I would buy the Bisell LGM for use of cleaning.

For interior protection, hyper dressing works well. I would dilute to natural look level but that is a personnal choice.

Exterior: If you have the tool to do a one step polish, I would do that. I like Meg's Reconditionning creme but any polish will most likelly be a good improvement. What I like about RC is that it's a polish and sealant in one, so you save a step.

For tires, a good APC or better yet degreaser if you have one. Good cleaning of the rims as well. Then dress the tires and Wheel wells. I use a water based product, don't like any of the silicone stuff but if that's all you have it's still better than not putting anything on.

Make sure Windows are really clean. There are several car Windows cleaning techniques available on Youtube. Clean Windows are a combination of using the right Tools, products and techniques. But as a rule of thumb: use a Windows specific microfiber tower to dry the Windows and always clean the Windows twice.

You should also learn how to do an engine bay detail, in my book a clean engine makes a big difference when buying a car.

Hope this helps

Thanks ! Exactly what i was looking for

I am in college and buy and sell used cars about 1-3 a month for money what protocol would you reccomend for me to do to get the most money possible i am talking full detail and what products would you use.... keep in mind i am looking to make money here i want the car too look new but am not looking to spend a fortune on things like wolfgang and blackfire they are great but not for me

Coming from some one who used to do the same you don't need to go balls out on it. Wax glass trim and tire shine for the exterior. Focus more on the interior. 98% of people won't even notice the difference between a polish and a wax. Get the interior near perfect. The goal here is profit. So there is no need to invest a bunch of money on the best tools to buff and polish. Unless the car is in terrible cosmetic condition then I'd recommend buffing. Wolfgang total swirl removal and a lake county orange pad should get the car looking good enough to sell while keeping profit high.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Coming from some one who used to do the same you don't need to go balls out on it. Wax glass trim and tire shine for the exterior. Focus more on the interior. 98% of people won't even notice the difference between a polish and a wax. Get the interior near perfect. The goal here is profit. So there is no need to invest a bunch of money on the best tools to buff and polish. Unless the car is in terrible cosmetic condition then I'd recommend buffing. Wolfgang total swirl removal and a lake county orange pad should get the car looking good enough to sell while keeping profit high.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

This times 1,000,000.

Oh and one last thing that has nothing to do with detailing:
Learn to negociate! The more you can lower the price when you buy and the more you can sell the car for is how you make money. Learn how to spot all the trouble areas with a car and use that to negociate the price down. Then correct all those problems before selling if you can and sell the car at market value (or above if the car is in great shape).

Here would be my list

1. Wash (foam gun and wash mitt method)
2. Clean wheels & tires with Brown Royal or Sonax
3. Spray wax while drying (Aquawax or Meguiars D156)
4. Vacuum the the interior like you have a BAD case of OCD
5. Hyper Dressing mixed to 4:1 interior
6. Clean windows (Meguairs Detailer Series Glass Cleaner)
7. CG new car scent or if there is leather then CG Leather scent

You ask of much, but give little

If you are selling 3 cars a month you should be able to afford to pay someone else to do this

this.... unless you like to spend every weeked you have prepping a car for sale.

100 bucks to a friend who wants to make a quick buck with you..

otherwise i would go for meguiars professional line in gallon form. you'll get enough product for 100 bucks to last at least half a year doing your resales.

A good idea also is to buy a good air freshener. Not the ones you hang from the mirror but spray/aerosol type. As soon as the potential buyer opens the door and has a very pleasant smell along with a really clean interior... that is a good thing.

I pour vinegar in a bowl and leave it in car overnight with windows closed. Sucks up all the smell and leaves thing fresh

Back