PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best all round products

hydro556
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
Guys, I am not a professional detailer so I dont need tons of specialized products. I want to be able to correct the paint on my daily driver, and a moderately oxidized boat. I also want to be able to keep both of these as well as my near new Dodge Ram looking great. Are there a couple of general purpose products that would cover all of my needs without having to purchase a half dozen or more products? If the boat requires specialized Marine products I understand and would then ask you to answer my questions based only on the car and truck. Also, I already have several brands of car wax as well as some light and medium "cut" rubbing compounds and would like to incorporate these into my arsenal.

To sum up, I would like a polish/wax to go with what I already have that would cover my needs. Which all purpose polish/wax would you recommend? Also, should I buy a separate sealant to use as well? Thanks for helping get this newbie started.

orngez
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
go with xmt 360....if you cut it with a liquid carnauba wax it works great on gel coats....and a pc or udm with a pad kit if you dont already have one...

sneek
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Optimum works on gel coats too if I recall correctly. I would actually get seperate products but I guess a strong one step product would also do the trick for both.

trlblazer3
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
XMT 360 or Poli-Seal are probably the two best products that would fit your needs.

hydro556
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
go with xmt 360....if you cut it with a liquid carnauba wax it works great on gel coats....and a pc or udm with a pad kit if you dont already have one...

Thanks for the advice. I recently bought a Makita 6040 since the El Cheapo random orbital polisher I had wouldnt do the trick for the boats oxidation. I then purchased a 6.5" orange, white and black pad from AG, as well a wool pad. The tech at AG said these were the pads I needed to do the boat as well as my vehicles. I am now trying to get the products needed for the jobs.

hydro556
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Everyone seems to like the 360, I will put that on the list. Trying to get everything ready and place another order.

Moxie
07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree with the XMT360 recommendations but if you really want to add extra protection top the 360 with Collinite 845 on both the cars and the boat. The Collinite boat and car waxes are identical with different labels so buy the car version for a little less money.

Gnarboots11
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Good luck man. I came here with the same intentions as you, now I am 150+ posts, $1000+ worth of products in about a month and a half, and a cupboard full of stuff, and alot of time invested into products/methods/results research. You are in for a world of pain my friend.

Mike T
07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Another vote for 360.
Also Poorboy's PwS is a grossly overlooked AIO. Its pad dependent, and you can literally use it on just about any surface on your vehicle.

hydro556
07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I went ahead and ordered the 360 as well as the meguiars boat restore kit and the XMT pad cleaning/lube kit. that, along with the stuff I already have should get me started.