Rain-X

Hjfowler

Reaction score
We all know what rain-x does for windshields. It's ok. But is there another product out there that will keep my windshield wipers from chattering?

I always swipe my blades with a wet terry towel after doing the windows.

Rain-X, which I love, has been known to "chatter." I since moved to using Duragloss 105 on my glass too.

Apply IPA onto a towel. Grab your wipers and with firm pressure clean the rubber part of the blade that touches your windshield.

Maybe this video will explain better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzQr6ZU5WQ

^^THIS, although I will use alcohol prep wipes sometimes (which can be purchased from some drugstores or medical supply stores).

Try WG Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant...I got a sample on an order last year and it works very well on glass as a Rain-X replacement. Just make sure to do 2 coats; 12 hours apart and it gives a good 4-6 months of protection. The sample will last you for a LONG time if you only use it as such.

Make sure you have quality wiper blades as well; I recommend Bosch.

I'll have to do some research but I certainly appreciate the recommendations.

Do windows nowadays have a coating on them? I have a 2010 and the rain seems to already react as if rain-x was on the windows, just not quite as dramatically. The water beads as if there's wax on there. But like I said, not as dramatically as if rain-x was on the window. Does that "coating" or whatever is already on the window ever wear off? I've had a car about a year and the rain has reacted the same that whole time.

Do windows nowadays have a coating on them? I have a 2010 and the rain seems to already react as if rain-x was on the windows, just not quite as dramatically. The water beads as if there's wax on there. But like I said, not as dramatically as if rain-x was on the window. Does that "coating" or whatever is already on the window ever wear off? I've had a car about a year and the rain has reacted the same that whole time.

Yes. I noticed several years back (around 2010) that most side windows have some sort of coating that reacts similar to RainX

One thing I have noticed is I think part of the problem is old wiper blades. Wipers blades should be replaced once a year. I recently took a good look at mine (my car is 18 months old) and they are already dry rotting. I wipe my wiper blades down every time I wash the car. Fresh blades are less prone to chatter and skipping.

One thing I have noticed is I think part of the problem is old wiper blades. Wipers blades should be replaced once a year. I recently took a good look at mine (my car is 18 months old) and they are already dry rotting. I wipe my wiper blades down every time I wash the car. Fresh blades are less prone to chatter and skipping.

What do you wipe them down with? Just whatever you're washing the car with?

Thanks

Yes. I noticed several years back (around 2010) that most side windows have some sort of coating that reacts similar to RainX

Whalen the car is sitting still, the windshield looks the same as the side windows. Perhaps it's on all windows all the way around the car?

And most importantly, does this coating ever wear off?

Whalen the car is sitting still, the windshield looks the same as the side windows. Perhaps it's on all windows all the way around the car?

And most importantly, does this coating ever wear off?

I see no sign of it wearing off over time. I also haven't notice it on windshields. At least not as much as the side windows

I use Rain-X on my side windows and rear windows only!!! The reason for this is that every time I have used these window treatments as soon as the wipers are turned on I get these "cloudy streaks" that make it impossible to see. However after doing an IPA wipe down and clay treatment on my windshield to remove the Rain-X I found that the water was still beading and the window was still streaking!!! I found that there was two things that were causing this the first one was the Rain-X windshield washer fluid, as it has the window treatment in it. The second thing was the shampoo as it had wax in it. I would be willing to bet that it is not the window that is making the water bead it is the wax in your shampoo and possibly your washer fluid. So if it is an issue for you like it was for me I would recommend changing to another brand of washer fluid and use a car shampoo that does not have wax in it.

You may also need to use original equipment wipers...

Reason for this is that in recent years car manufacturers finally realized that putting school bus sized windshields in cars was not a good idea for safety as it weakens the frame of the car by a good bit. However car companies are starting to take this to far now and are putting very small windshields in cars now that is resulting in very steep angles and over the counter windshield wipers (like rain-x) that are not specifically designed for your car cant handle these angles so they don't contact the window correctly.

You may also need to use original equipment wipers...

Reason for this is that in recent years car manufacturers finally realized that putting school bus sized windshields in cars was not a good idea for safety as it weakens the frame of the car by a good bit. However car companies are starting to take this to far now and are putting very small windshields in cars now that is resulting in very steep angles and over the counter windshield wipers (like rain-x) that are not specifically designed for your car cant handle these angles so they don't contact the window correctly.

I don't think the windshield is a structural component

I've heard that many dealers will install the "dealer protection package" on all new cars to save time when a vehicle is sold (even if the customer does not elect to purchase the warranty package). In many cases the protection is applied to side and rear glass but not the front windshield. Not saying this is absolutely the reason but maybe a possibility.

I don't think the windshield is a structural component

That is not correct, a lot of the structural integrity of the roof of your car comes from the windshield. The structural integrity of the window itself also plays a very large factor into the operation of your airbags. A lot of people don't realize this, this is one of the reasons why you really should take extra care in making sure that you get cracks and nicks repaired that are in your windshield. I am at work and don't have time to post a lot about this, but you can search on Google and find out all about this. However what I was referring to in my post was the angle of the A Pillars along with the size of them... Unfortunately as the angle on the A Pillars increases so does the pitch of the window which leads to the issues with the wipers and as the size of the A Pillars increases the size of the windows decrease. For instance look at my Volvo S60 my windshield is very narrow, very steep, and I have huge A Pillars.... but my car also has one of the best crash tests in the industry right now.

I've heard that many dealers will install the "dealer protection package" on all new cars to save time when a vehicle is sold (even if the customer does not elect to purchase the warranty package). In many cases the protection is applied to side and rear glass but not the front windshield. Not saying this is absolutely the reason but maybe a possibility.

Well I bought it used, so perhaps the person who owned it before me had the windshield coated?

Like I say, water reacts the same way on every window of the car. It's nice actually.

Back