PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who use a spray wax or QD when drying

Desertnate
04-17-2014, 10:43 AM
As the owner of my first black car, I'm always in the hunt from ways to keep the car as swirl free as possible. One technique I've found interesting is using a spray wax/QD as a drying aid. I like the idea of boosting the shine while reducing the chances of the drying medium causing any marring. However, I do have a few questions for those of you who use this technique.

What type of MF towel do you use? Will the Guzzler work?

How many towels would I need for a small car like a VW Golf/GTI

Does the towel get waterlogged? Even when sheeting during the rinse, the roof still holds a lot of water since it beads up.

nissenc1337
04-17-2014, 11:28 AM
The guzzler is great and it works well when wet (water attracts water). I can do my wife's Ford Edge using one guzzler easily. I'll wet the towel entirely, wring it out, and then begin drying. This technique works very well and leaves a small water residue that evaporates by the time you're done and wipe everything down with a spray wax and QD.

I've never sprayed wax or QD directly on a wet car but my intuition says that you'd be losing some product in the water and whatever was left over might lay a thin layer? But I like to dry then apply any type of LSP.

Jmarra
04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
I own 2 black cars and a black motorcycle. The guzzler is great, but get yourself a battery powered leaf blower. After final rinse use the blower one panel at a time followed by the guzzler. I can use one large guzzler for my Chrysler 300. After use your QD one panel at a time also. I use the miracle towels sold on AG(16 x 24). 2-3 of those finish it off.

DaVinciAutoSpa
04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Honestly, I've used a large thick MF to dry most of the water and then used spray wax with regular MF towels.

Other times I've gone straight to a regular MF towel w/ the spray wax and never use the thicker MF towel.

And then other times I've gone straight to leaf blower mode and then spray wax w/ regular MF towel.

It depends on the vehicle. Some paint seems to dry quicker than others. (Condition of the paint).

taxi_dub
04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
I never used it but ammo hydrate is used for safely drying a vehicle. All those products seem to be top quality!

LaFawnduh
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I have used both - quick detailer and spray wax - in my drying process on a black Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Cobra Guzzler MF. Ultimately, I started using both each time. First I leaf blower the cracks and get most heavy stuff off panels, QD with carnauba works well as lubrication when wiping remnants of water plus adding pop, then top with a polymer spray wax.

Process has removed 90% of swirls I used to get and keeps that waxed look much longer.

Desertnate
04-17-2014, 12:24 PM
The guzzler is great and it works well when wet (water attracts water). I can do my wife's Ford Edge using one guzzler easily. I'll wet the towel entirely, wring it out, and then begin drying. This technique works very well and leaves a small water residue that evaporates by the time you're done and wipe everything down with a spray wax and QD.

I've never sprayed wax or QD directly on a wet car but my intuition says that you'd be losing some product in the water and whatever was left over might lay a thin layer? But I like to dry then apply any type of LSP.

You don't have any issues with steaking? Maybe I'm using too much product, but when I've done a waterless wash and the MF towel becomes saturated it starts leaving streaks or other visable trails.

I'm looking at the Prima Hydro Wax as You Dry which appears to be designed for this very purpose.

What size Guzzler do you use on that Fusion?

I own 2 black cars and a black motorcycle. The guzzler is great, but get yourself a battery powered leaf blower. After final rinse use the blower one panel at a time followed by the guzzler. I can use one large guzzler for my Chrysler 300. After use your QD one panel at a time also. I use the miracle towels sold on AG(16 x 24). 2-3 of those finish it off.

I have an electric blower. Sounds like I need to break it out after the next wash. What size Guzzler do you use? My little car is no where near the range of a 300, but it will help me judge.

Honestly, I've used a large thick MF to dry most of the water and then used spray wax with regular MF towels.

Other times I've gone straight to a regular MF towel w/ the spray wax and never use the thicker MF towel.

And then other times I've gone straight to leaf blower mode and then spray wax w/ regular MF towel.

It depends on the vehicle. Some paint seems to dry quicker than others. (Condition of the paint).

I keep my car in really good shape. I have little to no shade in my neighborhood depending on the time of day, so it will dry VERY fast.

Kamakaz1961
04-17-2014, 12:51 PM
I have a Black 2013 Mustang GT I use the Metro Sidekick as my blower and a waffle weave MF towel to assist in drying. When I put on a QD (Blackfire Wet Diamond Spray) or Spray wax (Optimum Spray Wax or Zymol Glaze) I use a NON waffle weave MF towel. I use the Blue Angora MF Towel. It is somewhat similar to the Gold MF towel AGO sells.

IMO the waffle weave is for drying only. For a QD or Spray Wax a quality MF towel is for the application. This reduces the chances of scratches.

Anyhoo that's my technique

Im the MAN

RubbishReview
04-17-2014, 01:17 PM
I have a Black 2013 Volvo S60... What I do is for my final rinse I remove the hose nozzle and just let the water freely flow onto the car this allows the water to just sheet right off of the car. If the wax you are using is decent most of the water should just roll right off of the car. Then I take chemical guys P40 quick detailer (undiluted) and spray it on the entire car. I then dry the car using a dry cobra supreme guzzler, I can dry my Volvo S60 and Hyundai Azera with a single towel. As a final pass I then spray the entire car with a diluted mixture of chemical guys P40 and wipe down with a cobra super plush deluxe microfiber towel.

This process works really well for me... but really this is going to be a trial and error thing for you as every cars paint is different and your environment makes a difference as well. For instance I wash and dry my cars inside a garage so this makes a big difference as I don't have to worry about the sun.

HUMP DIESEL
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Sonax Spray wax works well in this situation and also as RubbishReview stated, sheeting the car will get rid of a large amount of water if your sealant is still in good shape.

HUMP

nissenc1337
04-17-2014, 02:33 PM
You don't have any issues with steaking? Maybe I'm using too much product, but when I've done a waterless wash and the MF towel becomes saturated it starts leaving streaks or other visable trails.

I'm looking at the Prima Hydro Wax as You Dry which appears to be designed for this very purpose.

What size Guzzler do you use on that Fusion?

I have two 16x24 guzzlers but only use one at a time. They do their job really well.

Typically I use about 1-2 full sprays (trigger all the way back) for smaller panels with 3-4 on larger panels (SUV's have huge doors). Less is more when I'm using anything. It typically performs better and always lasts longer.

But streaks? Never. Using Meg Ultimate QD or Spray Wax.