Mid-size trucks?

SR99

Reaction score
I've got a 14 year old Tundra that I've owned since new, and thought I'd look into new trucks just for kicks. The first thing I noticed is that all current full size trucks are a good bit longer than my Tundra, which barely fits in the garage as is. So much for that.

I then looked up the Tacoma and it's about 9" shorter, and about the same width and height, as my Tundra. So I guess the mid-size truck category is where I'm at.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there are only 3 mid-size trucks in the US market: the Toyota Tacoma, the Honda Ridgeline, and the Nissan Frontier?

If anyone knows of mid-size SUVs that can fit 4'x8' sheet goods flat in the back (in width; fine if it hangs out the back a couple feet), I'd be open to considering those as well (but I have to keep to the same bumper-to-bumper length limitation of about 18 feet in mind).

Short story had a 98 Ford Ranger purchased a 2012 Toyota Tacoma because it fit in my garage. Total P.O.S. Traded for a 2013 Ford F-150 doesn't fit in the garage. :dblthumb2:

I used to own a Ridgeline a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay flat. Bed is only 5 ft. long but dropping the tailgate adds 18 inches. It gets a lot flack from the "it ain't a ril truck" crowd. But if you look it over with an open mind it is a very well thought out and versatile vehicle. Only sold mine because I needed room for 7 butts. Still miss it though.

The Honda ridgeline is NOT a truck! Real trucks have a solid rear axle! Lol!
Stick with a Tacoma, you will not be sorry!

The Honda ridgeline is NOT a truck! Real trucks have a solid rear axle! Lol!
Stick with a Tacoma, you will not be sorry!

Unfortunately my Tacoma was stolen before I could cash in on the frame rust settlement Toyota offered.

Chevy is bringing back the Colorado very soon.

Tacoma/pickup hasn't really had much of any competition since the mid 80s... with the different options, the mostly great drivetrains, body styles, and suv all on the same platform, aftermarket and offroad support, what else compares?

Its much bigger now so mid size instead of small truck, but that category is all but gone.

I have a 2012 Tacoma DCSB. It has treated me very well for the first 25,000 miles. The all new redesign of the Tacoma is due for the 2015 model year so you may want to hold off a few months to see what that looks like. On the other hand it could be wise to buy this generation.

I was in a similar situation as yourself 20 months ago. I have owned and loved Ford Rangers for many years. I have never needed or wanted a full size truck. Since the Ranger is no longer on the U.S. market I was forced to look at the same trucks you are considering (minus the Honda). The Toyota was a very easy choice for myself.

I have a 2012 Tacoma DCSB. It has treated me very well for the first 25,000 miles. The all new redesign of the Tacoma is due for the 2015 model year so you may want to hold off a few months to see what that looks like. On the other hand it could be wise to buy this generation.

I was in a similar situation as yourself 20 months ago. I have owned and loved Ford Rangers for many years. I have never needed or wanted a full size truck. Since the Ranger is no longer on the U.S. market I was forced to look at the same trucks you are considering (minus the Honda). The Toyota was a very easy choice for myself.

Unfortunately there is no remodel for the Tacoma scheduled for 2015. Hopefully 2016 but who knows?

Back