PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun vs cannon...worth it?

Pages : [1] 2

CopperMtnGuy
04-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Looking to perhaps purchase a foam gun or cannon. The foam gun attaches to the hose and the foam cannon is with a pressure washer, right? Just wanted to get input...I wash 3 vehicles once a week. If this has been covered, some links would be awesome! Thanks!

Kamakaz1961
04-24-2014, 03:40 PM
I do not have a pressure washer and the cannon works with the pressure washer. I use the foam gun and love it!! It is used in conjunction with my 2-bucket wash.

Either 1 of those would IMO be the best way to wash a car along with the 2 bucket 2 grit guard method. Again, my opinion.

Levithan9
04-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I just got a foam cannon on Tuesday. I put some Mr.Pink soap in it from Chemical Guys, and blasted away on my Camry. It looked like a foam grenade went off in my driveway.

It had a nice dwell time before it started fizzing off, so I had plenty of time to get my 2 wash buckets ready. I then hit my car with nothing but water to get the foam off, then hand wash. If you've never used a foam cannon in your driveway, be prepared for rubber-neckers driving by....like looking at an accident on their way to work.

My wife liked it enough to say "do mine", and she almost never let's me wash her car.

If you do buy one, get it from amazon. It's cheaper, and its the same one that AG sells, minus the logo on the cheap bottle.

If you have a standard pressure washer quick-connect fitting, your good to go. If you have an electric washer, your gonna have to fine a connector that fits your style/brand of fitting. AG sells them, and they include ine if you order from them.

Pirate Bman
04-24-2014, 07:34 PM
I think we all really just amuse ourselves to the fact its the ultimate smoke and mirror trick that actually works. OOOOHHHH FOAM! Look at that thing under the soap is a clean car!

trekkeruss
04-24-2014, 07:44 PM
I just bought a pressure washer at Costco; I have yet to buy a cannon/lance. So I do not have experience with either yet. But from YouTube videos it is apparent that the pw/cannon combination puts out "stickier" foam that clings to the vehicle, while a hose/gun's output is more runny. I imagine they both work well; better than a plain 2bw, but since the pw/cannon foam is thicker, the foam can dwell on the surface to help lift more dirt a bit better than a hose/gun.

allenk4
04-24-2014, 08:02 PM
I just bought a pressure washer at Costco; I have yet to buy a cannon/lance. So I do not have experience with either yet. But from YouTube videos it is apparent that the pw/cannon combination puts out "stickier" foam that clings to the vehicle, while a hose/gun's output is more runny. I imagine they both work well; better than a plain 2bw, but since the pw/cannon foam is thicker, the foam can dwell on the surface to help lift more dirt a bit better than a hose/gun.

Based on that thought; do you think and air powered foamer is even more effective.

Foaming a car at 3 minute mark

Autogeek Tornador Air Foamer HP - YouTube

Autogeek Z-011D Tornador Air Foamer HP, Tornador Snow gun foam gun (http://www.autogeek.net/tornador-air-foamer.html)

As soon as I get a large enough compressor I will be trying all three.

Pirate Bman
04-24-2014, 08:08 PM

I had bought a cheapo kinda lance from Canadian tire it has a maybe 6 ounce or bigger container for your solution (mixture in my case) and turn the dial to go from water spray to foamy mode. It works sufficiently well, till i was a dummy at work and tried messing with the little turbo shaped nozzle and it sprung a bad ass leak that i had to patch using green masking tape, duct tape and i think black electrical:doh: tape

BradsDetailing
04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a cannon and I use it as a selling point or an ooh and ahhh effect, for motorcycles and maybe a pre-wash. It's nice to get all of the crevices that you wouldn't get with just a mitt, but it's not a necessity. I don't use it on my weekly washing of my car because the two bucket method works just fine. But, if I were going to spend money, I would get the cannon over the gun simply because the cannon offers more and you can find uses for a pressure washer.

trekkeruss
04-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Based on that thought; do you think and air powered foamer is even more effective.

With that foamer, you only have the amount of solution in the bottle. It wouldn't be enough to cover the car. It also looks like it comes out rather sporadically, and wouldn't have the same coverage as a cannon or even a gun.

CopperMtnGuy
04-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it!
For a cannon, which is the best? Is their any to avoid? FWIW, I have an electric Karkatcher pressure washer...

conquistador
04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Everyone has an opinion but I would save your money and skip the foam cannon. I own one and rarely use it. It is currently collecting dust in the back of my supply closet. It's great at wasting time and using soap. Other will disagree.

silverfox
04-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Of the two I'd go with the gun and use the one bucket method. I'd also learn and dial in rinseless washing. Leave cannon for the battle field and showman.

808_detail_nut
04-25-2014, 04:08 AM
I have a foam gun and was thinking of getting a cannon but chose not to. I use my pressure washer first, then foam the car with the gun, pressure wash again, then go panel to panel with the gun and the mitt rinsing in the bucket and grit guard. Use the rest of the foam to cover again and pressure wash it off. Works well for me. In my opinion, Get the gun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Bunky
04-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Given the number of threads on foam cannons, the same debate continues.

If anything, just applying a layer of foam without rinsing and then doing a traditional wash (one, two, or sixteen buckets) should over some additional protection than just applying a mitt to paint without soap on the paint.

For some detailers, the beer after the wash will cost more than any soap used in the foam cannon, bucket, etc and the beer does not help the car any..just the detailer.:cheers:

Levithan9
04-25-2014, 08:43 AM
Aahhhhh.....beer. The inside secret of detailer s everywhere.

Washed 5 cars....enjoy a few beers at the end of the day.

Complete interior cleaning....pop a top, stand back and admire your work.

Full paint correction.....drink a few and watch yourself get plastered in the reflection.

Irate customer.....break open your emergency 12 pack.

Beer....the problem solver.

Now available in kegs.......operators are standing by....