PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About Glaze

Pages : [1] 2

Reddwarf
07-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm working on my Father-in-Law's truck. A review of products and process will be forthcoming.

In the middle of the job right now. I've washed, clayed and applied XMT #3 with the UDM and an Orange pad. That stuff rocks and I'll comment more fully later. But right now, I want to apply XMT Glaze. There was a little bit of dusting from the XMT 3. Do I rewash now and then apply the XMT Glaze or apply the Glaze and then rewash before topping with XMT 180?

Also, when I aply the Glaze with the UDM should I use a white pad, black pad or green pad (LC Smart Pads).

lgtspecb
07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Wash again or quick detail. You want the paints surface to be completely free of debris before applying your sealant, or you run the risk of marring your hard work and/or sealing the dust into the paint and when you finish you will wonder where all the white dots came from. If you wash, you will have to completely dry the car again.

I am not familiar with the lcc pads, but you want to use either your finishing or finessing pad. I think the finishing pad is the black one?

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm working on my Father-in-Law's truck. A review of products and process will be forthcoming.

In the middle of the job right now. I've washed, clayed and applied XMT #3 with the UDM and an Orange pad. That stuff rocks and I'll comment more fully later. But right now, I want to apply XMT Glaze. There was a little bit of dusting from the XMT 3. Do I rewash now and then apply the XMT Glaze or apply the Glaze and then rewash before topping with XMT 180?

Also, when I aply the Glaze with the UDM should I use a white pad, black pad or green pad (LC Smart Pads).
I would get the dust off and polish residue before putting on anything else, you can wash the car, or just use a damp MF towel followed by a dry one. If it were me, i would wait atleast 12 hours before putting on a coat of 180 on top of the 360. for the pad it depends if there is any more correcting you want to do, it you still want to correct some swirl marks use 360 with the green pad, if xmt3 took care of every thing than use the black pad.

Reddwarf
07-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks to both of you! Sounds like good advice.

D
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Not sure why you guys are talking about sealants and XMT 360?? He never mentioned either.

Go ahead and give it a quick wash or QD, then glaze and top with 180.

DantheMan
07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
if you're going to wash again, wash before you glaze..

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Not sure why you guys are talking about sealants and XMT 360?? He never mentioned either.

I think by XMT glaze he means XMT 360 carnauba glaze.

D
07-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I think by XMT glaze he means XMT 360 carnauba glaze.

There is no XMT 360 Carnauba glaze. Theres XMT 360 and XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze. Two totally different products.

Ive never seen anyone call XMT 360 "XMT glaze".

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
A glaze should always be the second step, which should be after polishing and you DON'T want ANY cut in your pad when using it, unless your using some ALL IN ONE kinda stuff.

Just from my experiences I have always used a Orange Medium Cut FOam pad for Polishing and a Green Soft Polish pad for the glaze.

REmember that glaze just "set's up' the paint for waxing/sealing to help provide a real great surface. I could never really find a good anaolgy for it though.

D
07-21-2007, 02:15 PM
You dont always want to use a glaze before a sealant.

Thejoyofdriving
07-21-2007, 02:26 PM
There is no XMT 360 Carnauba glaze. Theres XMT 360 and XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze. Two totally different products.

Ive never seen anyone call XMT 360 "XMT glaze".
For some reason i though 360 was called 360 carnuaba glaze, i went back and looked, i now see what you are talking about.

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 02:29 PM
D&D, yes you are right...you don't ALWAYS have to...it truly is a matter of preference and opinion on the process you use when detailing, I was just taught to always glaze after polish.

Reddwarf
07-21-2007, 03:03 PM
D&D is correct. I have XMT Carnuba Glaze, not 360 and I'm not putting on a sealant.

I completed the XMT 3 polish and the floor mats and the interior. Man to I smell! Hot out there. Anyway, I'm going to wash and then apply the XMT Carnuba Glaze. I will probably stop there for today and apply XMT 180 tomorrow.

mywifehatesclowns
07-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I have no idea what kinds lineup XMT has. ;)

D
07-21-2007, 03:34 PM
D&D, yes you are right...you don't ALWAYS have to...it truly is a matter of preference and opinion on the process you use when detailing, I was just taught to always glaze after polish.

What I mean is that sometimes putting a glaze on before a sealant will cause bonding problems.